Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Jim Lloyd <jl...@silvertailsystems.com> on 2008/12/05 05:22:02 UTC

Tips for multiple versions of APR?

I think there is a possibility that my problem with my activemq-cpp 2.2.2
consumer locking up is because I messed up with installing apr-1.3.3 and
apr-util-1.3.4 on my CentOS 5.2 system.

A previous version of APR is installed via yum, and too many packages rely
on it in order for me to consider removing it. I tried to install the new
packages in separate directories, but I realize now I specified only
--prefix and not --exec-prefix when I ran ./configure.

I'm going to try to unwind and fix this. But I wonder if anyone else has
good strategies for leaving APR where it is installed by default in CentOS
while having a new version installed in a non-standard place.

Has anyone built apr, apr-util, and activemq-cpp all with static libraries
only, to eliminate any problems with shared library conflicts?

I should mention that I discovered a shared library conflict when I made a
relatively simple change to my modified SimpleAsyncConsumer. I added the use
of some apr_time routines, and then discovered the program would not launch
due to unresolved references in the shared libraries. Adding a directory to
my LD_LIBRARY_PATH allowed the program to run, and it seemed to be running
better than I had seen it so far.

Thanks,
Jim Lloyd

Re: Tips for multiple versions of APR?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the libraries all work fine when used as either static or shared.
If you look at the APR ABI rules you will see that you can install the
newer 1.3 versions overtop of the 1.2 version without worrying about API
incompatibilities, only when they move to a v2 are they allowed to make
revisions to the older API functions.  I've installed the latest over my
CentOS installed APR without issue.

Regards
Tim.

--