Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by istanbullu <yu...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/28 20:18:48 UTC

Does SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE block transactions?

I have a tool that backs up a DB using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE.
According to the Derby admin guide, online backup does not block
transactions.  However, I see an exception thrown from another DB
application trying to execute a query on the DB that is being backed up.
The exception is: "[java.sql.SQLTransactionRollbackException]: A lock could
not be obtained within the time".  Does this imply that the admin guide is
not accurate on this matter?  The size of the DB is 8-9 GBs.  I only see
this issue when DB size is larger than about 2 GBs.

RE: Does SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE block transactions?

Posted by istanbullu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

You are right.  Back-up does not put locks on tables.  I noticed that it was
another call in my script, consistency check, that was putting a lock on DB
tables and for a very long time.

Yuksel

Posted by "Bergquist, Brett" <BB...@canoga.com>.