Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Mith Atul <at...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/12 15:35:08 UTC

Documentation on using Objects of DataModels or Entities.

Hi,
 I have read ofbiz book "Begineers Apache_OFBiz_Development".
And then came across the javadocs api .
I found most of the bsh , groovy ,js, java often refer to object eg.:Party ,
etc...
Where can I find a documentation,tutorial explaining the usage of these
above API's .
(I am kind'a like lost here!)
So that I will have a control on my custom ofbiz based application.
Thank in advance!

:-)

Re: Documentation on using Objects of DataModels or Entities.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Hello
first let me help you over one big hurdle. Don't try to use object
Oriented thinking with ofbiz.
it is true that some classes are3 used, especially in the framework, but
ofbiz does not rely on Object model for dealing with data.
It is a whole different mind set that you would do well to develop.

There is lot of information you should go through that will make you
experience with ofbiz better
https://cwiki.apache.org/OFBADMIN/ofbiz-documentation-index.html
I suggest you create an account and mark pages as favorites so you can
speed refer to them
Also you will see a reference to a built in documentation that is being
built up, feel free to add to this from the Cwiki site.
The advantage to me is I can use the find on the browser easier since it
s all one page.

and Welcome.

=========================

BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Mith Atul sent the following on 1/12/2011 6:35 AM:

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hello Mith,

The data model of Ofbiz is very rich and flexible. The best way to start to
understand it is to obtain the book
"The Data Model Resource Book, Vol. 1: A Library of Universal Data Models
for All Enterprises" by Len Silverston. The Ofbiz data model is not the same
as that described in the book, but it is based on it.

Once you have looked at the book, use the Web Tools application in Ofbiz (if
you have a standard installation, try
https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/main ) to browse the entities and
examine the relationships between them. If you have populated a database
with the example data, you can see that data using the Web Tools.

There's in outline of Ofbiz with a brief discussion of the most important
entities at
https://cwiki.apache.org/OFBADMIN/apache-ofbiz-project-overview.html .

Don't expect to absorb and understand everything about Ofbiz all at once.
Learn a little bit, find a problem you would like to work on, and extend
your knowledge with that goal in mind.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy