Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by William Colen <wi...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/14 13:34:21 UTC

Master's Dissertation evaluating OpenNLP modules

Hi,

I would like to announce my Master's Dissertation, which is now available
online. The title is "Refining the CoGrOO Grammar Checker". CoGrOO is a
Portuguese grammar checker built on top of OpenNLP.

The text might be interesting for users of OpenNLP, specially the sections
from 6.1 to 6.9, which describe the process of tuning the NLP models using
the OpenNLP framework. For each module I measured how each OpenNLP tool can
help, for example, by introducing an abbreviation dictionary in the
Sentence Detector, or a lexeme dictionary in POS Tagger. I also evaluated
the impact of a custom feature generators or a custom sequence validator,
and how to customize the tools for other needs, for example a I built a
contraction finder, word featurizer, chunk head finder and shallow parser
by modifying the existing tools. I also compared the effectiveness of
Maxent and Perceptron models and how "cutoff" impacts each algorithm

As required by my University, the title and the thanks pages are in
Portuguese, but all the other content is translated to English.

http://www.teses.usp.br/teses/disponiveis/45/45134/tde-02052013-135414/en.php

Thank you,
William

Re: Master's Dissertation evaluating OpenNLP modules

Posted by William Colen <wi...@gmail.com>.
Actually, it is Sections 6.2 to 6.9 that describe the process of tuning the
NLP models using the OpenNLP framework. Section 6.1 is about components
that are unrelated to OpenNLP.