Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Peter Metz <pe...@unarin.com> on 2014/07/28 22:36:58 UTC

Question About Official Plugins

Hello Cordova Devs,

I wrote a Cordova plugin
<https://github.com/petermetz/cordova-plugin-ibeacon> which kind of
accidentally ended up with an official-like plugin ID:
org.apache.cordova.ibeacon.
I know that's lame, and would like to state that I didn't intend to
infringe any copyrights and if instructed so, will change plugin ID, no
questions asked.

But before all that, please, read on!

I've been advised
<https://github.com/petermetz/cordova-plugin-ibeacon/issues/24>, that
because of the fake-official ID, it is not possible to submit the plugin to
Phonegap Build which I never use, but would not want to leave out people
who do, for obvious reasons.

Is there even, tiny bit of chance that my plugin could become an official
one (so it can be present on Phonegap Build), while I'm still able to
commit changes to it?
The very first requirement for this I can think if is to comply with the
licensing of other official plugins which is not a problem.

The plan B is to rename the plugin and include a domain name in the plugin
ID that I control, but that would put additional workload on the fellow
users when they want to upgrade their plugin which I'm trying to avoid here.

Any help in this matter is very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Peter Metz

Re: Question About Official Plugins

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
Hello Peter,

The id field is useless without registering your plugin (via plugman) so
that it shows up on plugins.cordova.io[1], and plugman[2] will not allow
you to do so using the apache.cordova namespace/id.

People will only be able to install your plugin via github url, or local
repo path...

I recommend that you change the id immediately, regardless of what happens
in the future.  Adoption is what would drive this to be considered for
inclusion as an official plugin, and currently the only way to track
adoption is via stats collected by plugins.cordova.io

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention, I will have a look at it.
 And thanks for your willingness to contribute your code to cordova!

Cheers,
  Jesse

[1] http://plugins.cordova.io
[2] https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugman

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Posted by Peter Metz <pe...@unarin.com>.
Carlos, Jesse and Joe,

Thank you guys, loads of helpful info! I will go with the renaming as
suggested and it seems like even from the user side it won't be as painful
as I anticipated, so thanks for the additional info.

Losing control over the releases and contributions is indeed a bit of a
pain point so I'll put the idea on ice as I have very decent people to help
with contributions and testing as well anyways.

Kind regards,
Peter

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Peter