Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/05/14 15:14:52 UTC

End of life for 6.0.x

For some time now we have always said we will maintain three current
Tomcat versions in parallel. As we start to think about milestone
releases of Tomcat 9 soon (stable is unlikely to be until later next
year due to the Java EE 8 timescales) I think now would be a good time
to think about when to EOL 6.0.x.

The other factor to keep in mind is that we have (since at least 5.5.x)
given 12 months notice of any EOL dates.

With the above in mind, what do folks think to the following EOL
options? In all cases we announce the date as soon as we are happy with it.

Option 1: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 30 June 2016
Option 2: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 31 December 2016

The rational for option 1 is that with a 9.0.x milestone release
happening soon we need to EOL 6.0.x ASAP otherwise we'll end up
potentially supporting 4 concurrent versions.

For option 2, the thinking is that with the earliest date for a stable
9.0.x in the second half of next year, the end of next year we won't
really be supporting 9.0.x until then (it is very unlikely that
9.0.x/trunk and trunk will separate before then) so the end of next year
is a reasonable time frame to work with.

I'm currently leaning towards option 2.

Thoughts

Re: End of life for 6.0.x

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/05/2015 03:33, Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

> On 2015-05-21 5:06 PM, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
>>
>>> Option 1: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 30 June 2016
>>> Option 2: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 31 December 2016
>>>
>> It has been around for a very long time (2007) but it is a very
>> significant
>> release, so option 2 is probably better. OTOH, I am not actually doing
>> much
>> to help, so my vote is only a personal opinion.
> +1

OK. General preference for 31 December 2016 and no strong objections to
that date.

Unless I see any objections, I plan to go ahead and formally announce
this next week.

Mark

Re: End of life for 6.0.x

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 2015-05-21 5:06 PM, Rémy Maucherat wrote:

>> Option 1: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 30 June 2016
>> Option 2: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 31 December 2016
>>
> It has been around for a very long time (2007) but it is a very significant
> release, so option 2 is probably better. OTOH, I am not actually doing much
> to help, so my vote is only a personal opinion.
+1

-- Jeanfrancois

Re: End of life for 6.0.x

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: End of life for 6.0.x

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 14.05.2015 um 15:14 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> For some time now we have always said we will maintain three current
> Tomcat versions in parallel. As we start to think about milestone
> releases of Tomcat 9 soon (stable is unlikely to be until later next
> year due to the Java EE 8 timescales) I think now would be a good time
> to think about when to EOL 6.0.x.
>
> The other factor to keep in mind is that we have (since at least 5.5.x)
> given 12 months notice of any EOL dates.
>
> With the above in mind, what do folks think to the following EOL
> options? In all cases we announce the date as soon as we are happy with it.
>
> Option 1: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 30 June 2016
> Option 2: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 31 December 2016
>
> The rational for option 1 is that with a 9.0.x milestone release
> happening soon we need to EOL 6.0.x ASAP otherwise we'll end up
> potentially supporting 4 concurrent versions.
>
> For option 2, the thinking is that with the earliest date for a stable
> 9.0.x in the second half of next year, the end of next year we won't
> really be supporting 9.0.x until then (it is very unlikely that
> 9.0.x/trunk and trunk will separate before then) so the end of next year
> is a reasonable time frame to work with.
>
> I'm currently leaning towards option 2.

Both are OK for me.

Thanks for taking the initiative.

Rainer

Re: End of life for 6.0.x

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 5/14/15 9:14 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> For some time now we have always said we will maintain three current
> Tomcat versions in parallel. As we start to think about milestone
> releases of Tomcat 9 soon (stable is unlikely to be until later next
> year due to the Java EE 8 timescales) I think now would be a good time
> to think about when to EOL 6.0.x.
>
> The other factor to keep in mind is that we have (since at least 5.5.x)
> given 12 months notice of any EOL dates.
>
> With the above in mind, what do folks think to the following EOL
> options? In all cases we announce the date as soon as we are happy with it.
>
> Option 1: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 30 June 2016

+1

It's time to get people moving. Tomcat 6 has so many quirks that aren't
a problem in 7+.

> Option 2: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 31 December 2016

-0

> The rational for option 1 is that with a 9.0.x milestone release
> happening soon we need to EOL 6.0.x ASAP otherwise we'll end up
> potentially supporting 4 concurrent versions.
>
> For option 2, the thinking is that with the earliest date for a stable
> 9.0.x in the second half of next year, the end of next year we won't
> really be supporting 9.0.x until then (it is very unlikely that
> 9.0.x/trunk and trunk will separate before then) so the end of next year
> is a reasonable time frame to work with.
>
> I'm currently leaning towards option 2.

-chris

Re: End of life for 6.0.x

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 29/05/2015 12:19, Konstantin Kolinko a écrit :
> (cc: Emmanuel, as he participated in related thread a year ago)

Thank you Konstantin, I'm still subscribed to the list though.

> The following search:
> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=tomcat
>
> shows that Tomcat 6 packages are present in
> "squeeze (oldoldstable) "
> "squeeze-lts"
> "wheezy (oldstable)"
>
> but current stable ("jessie (stable)") has only 7 and 8.

Actually Debian 8 "Jessie" still has a tomcat6 source package, but it
builds only the Servlet API 2.5.

For Debian 9 "Stretch" to be released in 2017 we'll probably remove the
tomcat7 package and provide Tomcat 8 & 9. That means Debian wouldn't
need support for Tomcat 7 after April 2020.

Tomcat 6 in Debian has been on a downtrend since April 2013, Tomcat 7
overtook it in September 2014 and is still gaining in popularity despite
the availability of Tomcat 8 [1]. The figures for Ubuntu are very
different, Tomcat 6 still has 8 times more installations than Tomcat 7,
and Tomcat 8 is inexistent [2].

Emmanuel Bourg

[1]
https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=tomcat6+tomcat7+tomcat8&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1
[2] http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_inst

Re: End of life for 6.0.x

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
(cc: Emmanuel, as he participated in related thread a year ago)

> For some time now we have always said we will maintain three current
> Tomcat versions in parallel. As we start to think about milestone
> releases of Tomcat 9 soon (stable is unlikely to be until later next
> year due to the Java EE 8 timescales) I think now would be a good time
> to think about when to EOL 6.0.x.
>
> The other factor to keep in mind is that we have (since at least 5.5.x)
> given 12 months notice of any EOL dates.
>
> With the above in mind, what do folks think to the following EOL
> options? In all cases we announce the date as soon as we are happy with it.
>
> Option 1: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 30 June 2016
> Option 2: Tomcat 6.0.x EOL as of 31 December 2016
>
> The rational for option 1 is that with a 9.0.x milestone release
> happening soon we need to EOL 6.0.x ASAP otherwise we'll end up
> potentially supporting 4 concurrent versions.
>
> For option 2, the thinking is that with the earliest date for a stable
> 9.0.x in the second half of next year, the end of next year we won't
> really be supporting 9.0.x until then (it is very unlikely that
> 9.0.x/trunk and trunk will separate before then) so the end of next year
> is a reasonable time frame to work with.
>
> I'm currently leaning towards option 2.

Either date is OK with me.

(Personally, our customers still have several instances of Tomcat 6
running, but the plan is to upgrade them in the following ~2-3 months.
After that I am not sure how much interest I would have in 6.0.)

Searching archives, there was a question regarding Debian Jessy in
April 2014, but I think the answer was to do not use Tomcat 6 in the
new release.

http://markmail.org/message/dh2h3z2y2y5n2f3x

The following search:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=tomcat

shows that Tomcat 6 packages are present in
"squeeze (oldoldstable) "
"squeeze-lts"
"wheezy (oldstable)"

but current stable ("jessie (stable)") has only 7 and 8.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianSqueeze
says:
"2016-02-06 : End of LTS security updates for i386 and amd64 (five
years after initial release) "

https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
says:
"The team will thus handle:
* Debian 6 “Squeeze” until February 2016
* Debian 7 “Wheezy” from February 2016 to May 2018
* Debian 8 “Jessie“ from May 2018 to April/May 2020"

So from that I think that September 2016 is OK.

Tomcat 5.5 EOL'ed on 30 September 2012.
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-55-eol.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko