Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Devang <de...@molecularconnections.com> on 2005/02/16 09:00:41 UTC

Case Sensitivity

Hi

While developing the application in java with using Derby as a Database, I
found that except SQL Keywords the rest of the data is considered as Case
Sensitive. So I want to know the property through which I can create a
Database Case Insensitive?

Thanx

Devang Gandhi

Re: Case Sensitivity

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Case Sensitivity

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.
I don't think Derby has a property to create a database case
insensitive. Why exactly do you need the database to be case
insensitive? Derby has string functions to convert data to upper case or
lower case, so it is possible for the application to store data in one
case. (Either upper only or lower only by converting at the input time)
All the searches after the database is created can then happen in that case.

Satheesh

Re: Case Sensitivity

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Devang wrote:
> Hi
>
> While developing the application in java with using Derby as a Database, I
> found that except SQL Keywords the rest of the data is considered as Case
> Sensitive. So I want to know the property through which I can create a
> Database Case Insensitive?

There was a recent thread on this. Short answer is Derby sticks with the
SQL spec and treats values as case sensitive; there is no property for this.

--
Jeremy