Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> on 2007/07/11 17:15:29 UTC

Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Hi everyone,

We've been trying for quite a long time to get into a mode of faster,
more incremental releases. However, when it comes to actually doing
this, we seem married to the idea of pushing out impressive feature
lists with new releases.

I'd like to call an end to that practice, and start pushing out a 2.1-
alpha-1 release of Maven. No, it's not perfect. No, it doesn't have
even the beginnings of some of the features we'd like to have in 2.1
eventually. Yes, there will be some regressions. But after all, this
would be the first alpha release of the 2.1 minor version...so it's
expected to be more of a quick sketch, and lacking some (perhaps
important) details.

2.1-SNAPSHOT already has some interesting new capabilities. I'm sure
I can't name them all, but I know that personally, I've enabled
custom profile activators and the ability to preview the build plan
before it's executed, among other things. We've (primarily Jason)
been steadily improving the embedder support, and that's gotten
pretty damn good at this point, too. I for one would like to start
getting some feedback about the stuff we're working on out here, and
I think putting together a packaged distribution is the best way to
go about that.

What do others think?

-john

---
John Casey
Committer and PMC Member, Apache Maven
mail: jdcasey at commonjava dot org
blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp

Re: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
+1

let's make more releases so we can track the problems as the arise

On 7/11/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> ++1. The JIRA for 2.1-alpha-1 needs to be culled back to just the
> regressions, IMO. (Frankly, 2.1.x needs a big scythe run over it too
> and some more modest goals set in terms of features to include).
>
> The only other thing I'd note is that we had a list running of things
> that needed to be dealt with before getting 2.1 kicking. I'd like to
> ensure the project is moving forward on trunk dev and ready to deal
> with jira before this release goes out (because people will use it
> despite the alpha warnings :)
>
> Let's not have Maven 1.1 be the only point release this project ever
> gets out :)
>
> - Brett
>
> On 12/07/2007, at 1:15 AM, John Casey wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > We've been trying for quite a long time to get into a mode of
> > faster, more incremental releases. However, when it comes to
> > actually doing this, we seem married to the idea of pushing out
> > impressive feature lists with new releases.
> >
> > I'd like to call an end to that practice, and start pushing out a
> > 2.1-alpha-1 release of Maven. No, it's not perfect. No, it doesn't
> > have even the beginnings of some of the features we'd like to have
> > in 2.1 eventually. Yes, there will be some regressions. But after
> > all, this would be the first alpha release of the 2.1 minor
> > version...so it's expected to be more of a quick sketch, and
> > lacking some (perhaps important) details.
> >
> > 2.1-SNAPSHOT already has some interesting new capabilities. I'm
> > sure I can't name them all, but I know that personally, I've
> > enabled custom profile activators and the ability to preview the
> > build plan before it's executed, among other things. We've
> > (primarily Jason) been steadily improving the embedder support, and
> > that's gotten pretty damn good at this point, too. I for one would
> > like to start getting some feedback about the stuff we're working
> > on out here, and I think putting together a packaged distribution
> > is the best way to go about that.
> >
> > What do others think?
> >
> > -john
> >

> > ---
> > John Casey
> > Committer and PMC Member, Apache Maven
> > mail: jdcasey at commonjava dot org
> > blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

RE: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
+1 as we say in New England, it's time to Fish or Cut Bait. Lets get
something out there.

Re: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Emmanuel

Re: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk>.
+1, though perhaps finishing the Taxonomy pages first might be a plan
as I am sure an alpha of 2.1 will draw in new faces?

Andy

Re: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
None of these has been fleshed out into any sort of formal design,
right? I want to be clear about this: what I'm proposing is not a
feature-complete release of maven 2.1 that just has lingering bugs,
and it's not going to be without its regressions. We have a lot of
work in the trunk of SVN that's just been sitting there for like a
year now, in some cases, and I'd just like to get that out as an
alpha, so we can start some actual movement on the 2.1 front.

FWIW, any additions to the model will require a refactor of the
MavenProjectBuilder, so as to allow parsing of multiple
modelVersion's within the same build. Currently, we cannot even
approach the addition of new elements, because it would mean all
sorts of special-case work to make it backward compatible in what is
currently one of the hotspots of the core (the project builder is
something like 1600 lines IIRC, and almost impossible to understand
at a glance).

I want to tackle these things, but I don't think holding up this
alpha is the appropriate way to do it, that's all. And, this is just
my opinion on the matter...

I'd prefer we had formal write-ups for any new features we're going
to put into Maven from here on (not sure the build-plan has one, but
it's mentioned in the suppression-and-ordering document about plugin
ordering within the pom...and I'll be happy to formalize it further.
Also, see the javadocs for more info on it.)...again, just my two cents.

I don't mean to come off sharpish about this stuff, but I do feel
strongly that we really need to move this community into the habit of
releasing more incrementally.

Thanks,

-john

On Jul 11, 2007, at 11:58 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> [...]
>> even the beginnings of some of the features we'd like to have in 2.1
>> eventually. Yes, there will be some regressions. But after all, this
>> would be the first alpha release of the 2.1 minor version...so it's
>> expected to be more of a quick sketch, and lacking some (perhaps
>> important) details.
>>
>> 2.1-SNAPSHOT already has some interesting new capabilities. I'm sure
>> I can't name them all, but I know that personally, I've enabled
>> custom profile activators and the ability to preview the build plan
>> before it's executed, among other things. We've (primarily Jason)
>> been steadily improving the embedder support, and that's gotten
>> pretty damn good at this point, too. I for one would like to start
>> getting some feedback about the stuff we're working on out here, and
>> I think putting together a packaged distribution is the best way to

---
blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/john

Re: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
From the resource filtering discussion, it might be a really good idea to

Re: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 12 Jul 07, at 11:39 AM 12 Jul 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
>> reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/
>> field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=10332&fixfor=13535
>
> most of these issues are assigned to you and John, are you going to be
> able to do them? in what timeframe? or should they be unassigned?

I will continue to be responsible for any issues I'm listed for and I
will do them as I can until such a time as someone else expresses an
interest on working on them.

Brian is working on parts of the IT mechanism by working on
ArchetypeNG, and I'm still working with Raphael. General improvements
can be made by anyone to the ITs and there's a list in SVN.

There is no timeframe, they get done when people find the time to
work on them if you want to work on something speak up.

Re: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven 2.1-alpha-1?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.