Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID> on 2016/09/15 13:49:21 UTC

state of OpenJPA on Java9

Hi folks!

I did invest some time to get OpenJPA running on Java9.
We did hit some issues, mainly with the stricter behaviour of getResources with Jigsaw.

In our enhancement layer we pretty often load just the byte[] of Classes to avoid triggering the actual Classloading. This is mostly done by

ClassLoader#getResourceAsStream(className.replace('.', '/') + ".class");
But this just returns null in Java9.

This currently breaks a LOT of apps, so we are far from being the only one.
After talking with Oracle and a few other OSS people, Mark Reinhold agreed to address this issue:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-experts/2016-September/000392.html

A revised Java9-EA should be available at the end of this week.
If OpenJPA works with that version, then there is also no urgent need to get rid of Serp.

In which case I'd be good to to an openjpa-3.0.0-alpha-1 release. Wdyt?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: state of OpenJPA on Java9

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le 15 sept. 2016 21:17, "Mark Struberg" <st...@yahoo.de.invalid> a
écrit :

> I'd rather ship 3.0.x now and keep working on the ASM move in the branch.
>
> And then enable it either pluggable or move the default to ASM for 3.1.x.
> It's really much more work than you think...

Well it will be a big breaking - whatever we do - change so should be
another major but np with 4.x.

That said no reason to use 3.x if we are not yet 100% targetting jpa 2.1
too so 2.5 was a compromise.

Re: state of OpenJPA on Java9

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Re: state of OpenJPA on Java9