Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Slava Madrit <sm...@salans.com> on 2005/07/27 17:12:44 UTC

Russian way of fighting spam

http://mosnews.com/news/2005/07/25/spammerdead.shtml

Russia's Biggest Spammer Brutally Murdered in Apartment

Vardan Kushnir, notorious for sending spam to each and every citizen of Russia who appeared to have an e-mail, was found dead in his Moscow apartment on Sunday, Interfax reported Monday. He died after suffering repeated blows to the head.

Kushnir, 35, headed the English learning centers the Center for American English, the New York English Centre and the Centre for Spoken English, all known to have aggressive Internet advertising policies in which millions of e-mails were sent every day.

In the past angry Internet users have targeted the American English centre by publishing the Center's telephone numbers anywhere on the Web to provoke telephone calls. The Center's telephone was advertised as a contact number for cheap sex services, or bargain real estate sales.

Another attack involved hundreds of people making phone calls to the American English Center and sending it numerous e-mails back, but Vardan Kushnir remained sure of his right to spam, saying it was what e-mails were for.

Under Russian law, spamming is not considered illegal, although lawmakers are working on legal projects that could protect Russian Internet users like they do in Europe and the U.S.

privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
is prohibited.  If you received this transmission in error, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone (+1(212)632-5500)
and delete and destroy all copies of the material, including all
copies stored in the recipient's computer, printed or saved to disk.

Disclosure Pursuant to Treasury Regulations in Circular 230

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the Internal
Revenue Service, we inform you that any tax advice contained in
this communication (including any attachments) was not intended
or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i)
avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or
(ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any
tax-related matter(s) addressed herein.

Re: Russian way of fighting spam

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Wednesday 27 July 2005 19:46, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>jdow wrote:
>> From: "Slava Madrit" <sm...@salans.com>
>>
>> and delete and destroy all copies of the material, including all
>> copies stored in the recipient's computer, printed or saved to
>> disk.
>
>Does that also mean we should all show up at Slava's office to
> destroy all copies of the material?

Now there's an idea, go for it.  Start with that ridiculous sig.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Russian way of fighting spam

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
jdow wrote:
> From: "Slava Madrit" <sm...@salans.com>
>
> and delete and destroy all copies of the material, including all
> copies stored in the recipient's computer, printed or saved to disk.

Does that also mean we should all show up at Slava's office to destroy
all copies of the material?

Re: Russian way of fighting spam

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Slava Madrit" <sm...@salans.com>

[...]

this we were all in violation of Treasury Regulations in Circular
230. Sheesh.

{+_+}

RE: [OT] Russian way of fighting spam

Posted by "Pettit, Paul" <is...@ccbnpts.com>.

> http://mosnews.com/news/2005/07/25/spammerdead.shtml
>
> Russia's Biggest Spammer Brutally Murdered in Apartment
>
> Vardan Kushnir, notorious for sending spam to each and every citizen of
> Russia who appeared to have an e-mail, was found dead in his Moscow
apartment
> on Sunday, Interfax reported Monday. He died after suffering repeated
blows
> to the head.

As noted in the \. discussion
(http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/07/25/1745212.shtml?tid=111&tid=218) following
the original report, it's highly unlikely this has much to do with spam per
say. Instead it's more probable that it has to do with the Russian mafia
since the bulk of illicit activity in Russa is frimly under their control.

Unfortunte (even sad) that this happened to him, even though he was a
spammer, but you reap what you sow. My hope is that he didn't leave anyone
behind that will be in harms way as well (i.e. kid, wife, etc.) as the
Russian mafia is notoriously efficent and brutal.

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a Microsoft
user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com