Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ed DeWan <ej...@illinois.edu> on 2013/07/11 21:56:51 UTC

Wildcards in OOW (from Ed DeWan)

The handling of newlines and paragraphs in wildcard find and replace in Open Office writer is utterly insane! Newlines and paragraphs are distinct characters. Why not use separate characters for each, such as \n for newline, and \p for paragraph? With that scheme, you could find and replace at will, without all the folderol that's now involved, and certain operations appear to be impossible to do with one command. I like OOW, but now when dealing with some text files to be converted, I copy the text to Word, fix it, and then copy it back. That's a heck of a lot easier than messing with replace in OOW.

Re: Wildcards in OOW (from Ed DeWan)

Posted by Ricardo Berlasso <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/7/11 Ed DeWan <ej...@illinois.edu>

> The handling of newlines and paragraphs in wildcard find and replace in
> Open Office writer is utterly insane! Newlines and paragraphs are distinct
> characters. Why not use separate characters for each, such as \n for
> newline, and \p for paragraph? With that scheme, you could find and replace
> at will, without all the folderol that's now involved, and certain
> operations appear to be impossible to do with one command. I like OOW, but
> now when dealing with some text files to be converted, I copy the text to
> Word, fix it, and then copy it back. That's a heck of a lot easier than
> messing with replace in OOW.

AOO use "regular expressions" with a particular syntax (end of paragraph
are marked with $, \t represents a tabstop, etc). You can find a draft for
the regular expressions chapter on the user guide here:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Advanced/RegExp

Note that the form you filled with your question is used for problems
related with our wiki (registration, log-in, etc.). For support using
Writer or any other AOO component, try our community forums

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/

Regards