Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Goodenough <da...@btconnect.com> on 2006/05/08 12:53:45 UTC

Enabling JMX and jconsole in Tomcat 5.5

I am trying to get jconsole to talk to Tomcat 5.5, and failing dismally.

My first attempt was to enable the local access to JMX, using just
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote but when I then start jconsole
there are NO local services shown.

So then I tried remote access, by setting -Dc.s.m.j.port=9000 and
.authenticate=false and .ssl=false, but when I try to connect
I just get a connection failed reply.

I am obviously failing to do something really basic, but I can not
see it.  All the howtos just assume it works.

Anyone got any clues?

David

Re: Enabling JMX and jconsole in Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Gustavo Noronha <gu...@gmail.com>.
2006/5/8, David Goodenough <da...@btconnect.com>:

> On Monday 08 May 2006 14:51, Gustavo Noronha wrote:
> > 2006/5/8, Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>:
> > > I have the following settings in my (Windows) service configuration on
> > > the Java tab (ONE PER LINE!)
> > >
> > > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
> > > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8086
> > > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
> > > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
> > >
> > > I have similar settings in $CATALINA_HOME/bin/setenv.sh.
> >
> > Is this supposed to work on Tomcat 5.0? I searched the docs and only
> found
> > stuff related to JMX on the 5.5 docs.
> Who mentioned 5.0, the subject and all subsequent replies say 5.5?

I did. I would like to know if this applies to 5.0, as well, or if this is
only supported by the 5.5 family upward.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva
Coordenação de Segurança e Sustentação

Re: Enabling JMX and jconsole in Tomcat 5.5

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@btconnect.com>.

Posted by Gustavo Noronha <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Enabling JMX and jconsole in Tomcat 5.5 - SOLVED

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@btconnect.com>.
I could not get this to work at all on Tomcat 5.5.9, so I installed 5.5.17,
copied across the changes I had made to 5.5.9, and it worked first time.

Bizaar.

David.