Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de> on 2006/03/23 14:22:00 UTC

maildir support and needed jar

Hi,

just one question you said that you can'T include gpl stuff. So whats
the best way to add features that need gpl jars ? Like its done with the
java mail jar ? Or is there a better option..
bye

Re: maildir support and needed jar

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Norman Maurer wrote:
> just one question you said that you can'T include gpl stuff. So whats
> the best way to add features that need gpl jars ? Like its done with the
> java mail jar ? Or is there a better option..

No, it's worse.

We CAN bundle mail.jar in binary distribution but CAN'T bundle it in
source distributions (actually we probably CAN do this with latest
javamail as SUN changed the license to CDDL)

We CAN'T bundle any GPL jar in our binary/source distributions.

You can't use maildir interfaces in james code, but hopefully you used
the javamail provider interface only and the binding to maildir is only
in configuration files: then you should add documentation to let the
users write their conf supporting maildir and download the maildir jar.

AFAIK this is the only way.
Stefano

Re: maildir support and needed jar

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Norman Maurer wrote:
> Hm, any example for such thinks? Maybe some code where i can have a look
> how this was did ?

No, finish your work and submit it to JIRA. I'll try to look at it and
explain what's wrong and, I hope, how to fix it.
Basically you should be able to build your code without the maildir.jar
and only need it at runtime (no import of specific code but javax.mail
stuff)

Stefano

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Norman Maurer wrote:
> Thats the main problem.. it not build without the jar :-( I have the
> imports of the maildir things in it and don't know or understand howto
> get rid of them..

Post the code somewhere (JIRA) so I can look what is imported and why.

Stefano

Re: maildir support and needed jar

Posted by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de>.
Here: