Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Josh Rehman <jr...@citysearch.com> on 2003/10/15 02:08:22 UTC

Axis and NIO

Hi,

Anyone reimplementing Axis to use NIO?

Josh Rehman
Citysearch Toolsdev

Re: Axis and NIO

Posted by Pankaj Kumar <pa...@j2ee-security.net>.
Few months ago, I had issues with NIO and SSL together. Don't know if latest
JDK release have resolved this.

/Pankaj.
Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Josh Rehman wrote:

> Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> Josh Rehman wrote:
>>
>>> I want this to support a client-side I/O interrupt. If there are
>>> other ways
>>> to do this without NIO, I'd like to know. [Having one thread call
>>> socket.close() on a socket held by another thread is JVM specific,
>>> and so
>>> I'd like to avoid that.]
>>

>> do a read with a timeout; poll some volatile exit_now flag every
>> second or so?
>

> This had crossed my mind, bit I have too concerns:
> 1) Timeouts are not supported on all platforms.
> 2) I don't know how my client stub can be modified to set this timeout,
> even if it was supported on my target platform (which is isn't).

well, you can use InputStream.available() and then sleep when there is
no data; implementing the waiting yourself. This should work across the
board, except for things that lie about availability.

To modify the client stub, I would add an extra property you can set
with _set_Property(), and handle it from there. Axis does already have a
timeout property, BTW; you'd have to look at the source to see how it is
used.

Re: Axis and NIO

Posted by Josh Rehman <jr...@citysearch.com>.

Re: Axis and NIO

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.

RE: Axis and NIO

Posted by Josh Rehman <jr...@citysearch.com>.

I'll check that out.

> The area where NIO would matter is in binary file support: attachments.
> Maybe something could be done there with an NIO reader of files, but
> because Axis is designed to work on Java1.3, we have to be able to
> support an NIO-free system

I want this to support a client-side I/O interrupt. If there are other ways
to do this without NIO, I'd like to know. [Having one thread call
socket.close() on a socket held by another thread is JVM specific, and so
I'd like to avoid that.]

Thanks,
Josh

Re: Axis and NIO

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.

Re: Axis and NIO

Posted by Josh Rehman <jr...@citysearch.com>.

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> That's possible for the stand-alone server but not for the servlet
> case right?
>
> Sanjiva.

Josh Rehman
Citysearch Toolsdev, 3559