Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Thibault Dory <do...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/13 11:53:54 UTC

Feedback on ACM SOCC paper about elasticity and scalability

Hello,

I have written with a few other people a paper for the ACM Symposium
On Cloud Computing. This paper describes the methodology,
infrastructure and configuration used as well as the results obtained
for elasticity and scalability of three noSQL databases, of wich
HBase. The paper can be downloaded here :
http://www.nosqlbenchmarking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/paper.pdf<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.nosqlbenchmarking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/paper.pdf>

Any feedback on the methodology used would be appreciated, we would
like to know if HBase is used in a "fair" way in those tests.

We also encountered a problem with the distribution of requests among region
servers. This problem is described in section 5.4.2 and any hints on how to
solve this problem would be appreciated. Please note that the request
generation is independent of the specific database layer and that we did not
observe this problem for the two other databases.

Regards,

Thibault Dory