Posted to user@roller.apache.org by oshomurphy <sm...@clarksna.com> on 2007/02/13 22:35:35 UTC

Roller 3.0 registering new users

Hello,

I'm trying to install Apache Roller 3.0 to try out the weblog. I'm using
Tomcat 5.5.20, Oracle9i, Java JDK 1.5.0_06. I followed the Roller
installation instructions step by step, and reviewing the installation
instructions I can't find anything I missed during installation (doesn't
mean I didn't miss something).
I am able to startup the tomcat server and load the
"http://localhost:8080/roller" url in mozilla firefox browser. My first idea
that something is wrong is what I see in the top right hand corner of the
page in my browser, which is:

null | Main Menu | Login

I'm assuming I should see Register or something like it instead of null.
Then under the create a user section, if I click on the link titled "New
User Registration Page", I get the following message in a new page:

New User Registration
I'm sorry, but the administrator of this site has turned off new user
registrations.

I've searched the mailing list and while I've seen similar questions posted,
I have not seen any answers that work. When I started digging into what
could be wrong, I saw some comments about updating the roller-config.xml
file to change the name inside the <AdminUsers></AdminUsers> tag. The only
problem is that I don't have a roller-config.xml file anywhere. I'm again
assuming that is part (if not all) of my problem.

Where/when does the roller-config.xml file get created and could anyone post
a copy of what should be in this file (default), so that I can create it
manually.

All help is appreciated.
thanks

Re: Roller 3.0 registering new users

Posted by "Alexandre B." <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Have you correctly set the resources, upload_data and search_index
directories ?

Have you taken a closer look to the roller and catalina logfiles ?

One good thing you might try is:
* to stop tomcat
* to empty the roller / tomcat log directory
* to restart tomcat
* to try to register
and look to the log files if you get some warning or errors when those
actions are accomplished

Alexandre B.