Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "marcus.mathioudakis" <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/18 14:43:42 UTC

Is there anyway to get activeMQ to pick up a jar at runtime other than adding it to the activemqinstalldir/lib folder?

Is there anyway to get activeMQ to pick up a jar at runtime other than adding
it to the activemqinstalldir/lib folder? I have tried the --extidr option
but can't get it to work....

Re: Is there anyway to get activeMQ to pick up a jar at runtime other than adding it to the activemqinstalldir/lib folder?

Posted by "marcus.mathioudakis" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Many thanks for your detailed response, when using --extdir multiple times it
works as hoped :).
I don't mean to nitpick, but this usage of --extdir seems somewhat counter
intuitive, and  doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. I think it would
make it easier if you just added a note that makes this usage clear to the
task option line
" --extdir <dir>  - Add the jar files in the directory to the classpath."
displayed when typing "activemq -?".

Thanks again!

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
It looks like you can repeat --extdir to provide multiple values

there is also the activemq.classpath system property that is a list,
it can be specified in the start script via env ACTIVEMQ_CLASSPATH

have a peek at http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/trunk/activemq-console/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/console/Main.java?view=markup

to see how the classloader is configured and --extdir is parsed.

http://fusesource.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
I did a quick sanity:

mv lib/kahadb-5.6.0.jar /tmp/ext
sh -x ./bin/activemq console --extdir /tmp/ext

and it worked.

sh -x ./bin/activemq console --extdir /tmpeee
gave me:
Extension directory specified is not valid directory: /tmpeee
Ignoring extension directory option.
and java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/kahadb/util/DataByteArrayInputStream
as expected.

http://fusesource.com
http://blog.garytully.com