Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Michael D. Crawford" <cr...@goingware.com> on 2001/03/05 08:16:41 UTC

article on testing web apps

I've posted an article tonight:

Use Validators and Load Generators to Test Your Web Applications
http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/articles/webapptesting/index.html

the general topics are that one should use SGML validators to ensure one
generates quality web pages in a web application, and you should use a load
generator to ensure your application will actually work under a real load.

I mention Xerces-C, Xerces-J and Xerces Perl in this section:

XML Validators
http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/articles/webapptesting/validators.html#xml

where I suggest that one use XHTML rather than conventional HTML, and then
take advantage of one of the many available XML validating parsers.

My question for the Xerces list in particular are whether you'd like to
correct or add anything that I say about any of the variants of Xerces.

In general the question I'd like to ask anybody is whether there's anything
you can suggest for my article:

- Are my arguments clear and convincing?  (That is, do I make you feel you
  should bother rigorously testing your application - lots of people don't!)

- Is the information conveyed helpful and comprehensible?

- Do you further resources I should link to, particularly validators and
  load generators?

- Do you have suggestions for topics of other articles I could write, resources
  I could link to in them, or articles you would like to write yourself?

The Linux Quality Database at:
http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/

has as its long-term goal to write an easy-to-use but powerful bug database
for the Linux kernel.  In the short term I'm trying to promote better
quality among Free and Open Source software by writing articles on quality
assurance and better software practices such as the one given here.

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com