Posted to bsf-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/16 05:31:41 UTC

Suggested new changes

Hello Everyone,

As for the final preparations of a new release of BSF, I would like to
suggest the following changes.

(1) Get rid of org.apache. bsf.util.DebugLog.java class and use
commons-logging and log4j to log whatever we need to log.

(2) Remove org.apache.bsf.engines.activescript.*  from the current
repository since we no longer support it.

(3) Move to testcases out from the trunk/src dir to /trunk/test which
will make it looks more cleaner.

Following is the patch with all the suggested changes;
http://people.apache.org/~sanka/refactoring.patch

Thoughts ?

Thanks,
Sanka

Re: Suggested new changes

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Sanka,

>one option would be to include it the testcase source file and add it
>to the testsuit after checking the availability of ooRexx in class
>path at run time.
>
>thoughts?

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea! One could even implement that in the
testcase itself at setup time and signal "engine not available for
testing" or the like.

>>>Thoughts ?
>>>

>>Great, the ball is rolling ...
>>

>:-) , I'll apply the changes to the repository after you commit ur
>suggested changes. Else you might need to recompute the patch and I
>dont want to troble you with that .. ;-)

:)
Thank you very much for your kindness! Just checked in my changes, such
that you are able to proceed as quickly as possible.

Regards,

---rony

Re: Suggested new changes

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rony,

Re: Suggested new changes

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So could you please tell me how do these changes without hurting the
> automated build process? If I upload commons-logging.jar to
> trunk/lib directory, will it resolve the matter for GUMP?

No.

> or is there another way tell GUMP to add this jar to its class path
> when it compiles bsf-src?

Yes, add a dependency on commons-logging to BSF's Gump descriptor in
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/jakarta-bsf.xml>.
Everey Apache committer has write access to Gump descriptors.

Stefan

Re: Suggested new changes

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Sanka,

> I was about to commit those changes and held it back to get some
> clarification.
>
> These changes will require commons-logging.jar to be in the class
> path, when source is compiled. If I am not mistaken there is an
> automated build process via GUMP.
>
> So could you please tell me how do these changes without hurting the
> automated build process? If I upload commons-logging.jar to trunk/lib
> directory, will it resolve the matter for GUMP? or is there another
> way tell GUMP to add this jar to its class path when it compiles
> bsf-src?

unfortunately, I have no knowledge about the build process of BSF.
AFAIK, Sanjiva or Victor are/is the man in the know, but the latter one
has been quiet as if he fell off the edge of the world...

So right now, I cannot really help you, so I would say, if no one else
shows up, just go ahead with what you see fit and appropriate. If you
need assistance one way or the other, I will try to dig into this in
order to help; also we'd need to incorporate all the
suggestions/additions on new supported languages and the like.

Regards,

---rony

P.S.: One thing I would wish myself was to set BSF up such that a
regular build is created from the sources such that interested parties
get really to download the latest version of the binaries as well.

Re: Suggested new changes

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rony,

Re: Suggested new changes

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Sanka,

> As for the final preparations of a new release of BSF, I would like to
> suggest the following changes.
>
> (1) Get rid of org.apache. bsf.util.DebugLog.java class and use
> commons-logging and log4j to log whatever we need to log.

+1

> (2) Remove org.apache.bsf.engines.activescript.* from the current
> repository since we no longer support it.

+1

> (3) Move to testcases out from the trunk/src dir to /trunk/test which
> will make it looks more cleaner.

+1

A question: would it make sense to submit a testcase for the ooRexx
engine, even if the engine itself is not part of the base distribution?

> Thoughts ?

Great, the ball is rolling ...

---rony