Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by BERGER ROLAND <R....@sbb.ch> on 2005/02/28 10:29:00 UTC

[naming] links and federation

--- Erhalten von  SYSUEXT.UE05588 0512 20 49 56            28.02.05 10.29

Hi Phil

I didn't follow the discussion about links an federation for one month.
Can you give me a feedback if my suggestion will be incorporated into the
code base or if you have developed another solution?

Thank you
Roland

From: phil@steitz.com
To: directory-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:25:34 -0500
Subject: [naming] links and federation

As I prepared to commit Roland's patch to support resource links in the
XmlConfigurator, I realized that this was really just a special case of
federation.  I have written up some notes here
http://wiki.apache.org/directory/NamingHome
that present an option that will get us most of the benefit of
federation without adding much complexity or code.  I tried to include a
little background on how the tomcat-based context management works under
the covers so others can jump in a little more easily.

I would appreciate it if others could take a look and tear it up a bit /
offer better ideas on how to support Roland's use case as well as the
federation idea that Noel suggested.  Thanks!

Phil

---- 28.02.05 10.29 ---- Gesendet an   ----------------------------------
  -> directory-dev@incubator.apache.org

Re: [naming] links and federation

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
BERGER ROLAND wrote:
> --- Erhalten von  SYSUEXT.UE05588 0512 20 49 56            28.02.05 10.29
>
> Hi Phil
>
> I didn't follow the discussion about links an federation for one month.
> Can you give me a feedback if my suggestion will be incorporated into the
> code base or if you have developed another solution?
>
> Thank you
> Roland

Hi Roland,

The idea is being incorporated, but with a slightly different
implementation.  See http://wiki.apache.org/directory/NamingHome

I am now working on the jndi url support (nearly complete).  Then I was
planning to add links to the configurator and modify your TC->naming
translator to work with the syntax described on the Wiki page.

Sorry this has taken so long to complete.  Comments on the approach and
changes committed thus are welcome.

Phil