Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ryan McDonald <rm...@futurebrand.com> on 2005/10/03 21:45:33 UTC

[users@httpd] does apache log conditional requests?

Hello everyone,

When a browser makes a conditional request to see if a resource it has
cached has changed, and that resource has not changed will that request
be logged by apache and show the proper response code of 304?

I am trying to figure out why a browser is not receiving updated js
files and am not even noticing the request in the apache log and was
wondering if this is normal.

Thanks in advance for your help
Ryan

Re: [users@httpd] does apache log conditional requests?

Posted by Joshua Kogut <jm...@gmail.com>.
Whenever developing your site, I recommend testing on your local server,
then disabling your browsers cache. Then you will never see a previous
version of the ste that you are working on, and will eliminate any cache
systems between you and the server.

On 10/3/05, Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/05, Ryan McDonald <rm...@futurebrand.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > When a browser makes a conditional request to see if a resource it has
> > cached has changed, and that resource has not changed will that request
> > be logged by apache and show the proper response code of 304?
>
> Yes.
>

> > I am trying to figure out why a browser is not receiving updated js
> > files and am not even noticing the request in the apache log and was
> > wondering if this is normal.
>
> No. The browser is probably hitting a cache -- either its own, or an
> intermediate one between it and the server.
>
> Joshua.

|| jmkogut ||
email: jmkogut@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] does apache log conditional requests?