Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Pieter Van Poyer <Pi...@portofantwerp.com> on 2020/09/06 22:06:02 UTC

Greenfield for cordova-plugin-network-information + release version 3.0.0

Hey Cordova devs

You are doing a great job with Cordova.
I've got a question, suggestion for the cordova-plugin-network-information.

Is it possible to open an issue, a milestone, a metaticket or something to discuss the future requirements of the plugin (v4).
Something like a whitepaper.

My suggestions for a whitepaper are:

Loosen the requirements of the plugin to it's barebone's essentials.
Requirements

  *   Detect online/offline only when the app is active.
  *   When online, only detect following types: WIFI, MOBILE
Stop with next requirements

  *   Detect online/offline when the app is not active.
  *   Don't try to detect other network type's beside WIFI and MOBILE.
  *   Do not let this plugin support background work like fileupload's and datasyncs. Remove it from the doc's.
  *   Drop Windows platform support.
For android: use the NetworkCallback<https://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/ConnectivityManager.NetworkCallback.html> API instead of the deprecated Connectivitymanager.

Maybe we could take some insparation by looking at the Capacitor plugin https://github.com/ionic-team/capacitor-plugins/tree/main/network or Flutter plugin.

Is it also possible to release version 3.0.0 of the plugin.

Kind regards

Pieter Van Poyer

________________________________

Deze e-mail en alle gekoppelde bestanden zijn officiele documenten van Havenbedrijf Antwerpen NV van publiek recht en kunnen vertrouwelijke of persoonlijke informatie bevatten. Gelieve de afzender onmiddellijk via e-mail of telefonisch te verwittigen als u deze e-mail per vergissing heeft ontvangen en verwijder vervolgens de e-mail zonder deze te lezen, te reproduceren, te verspreiden of te ontsluiten naar derden. Havenbedrijf Antwerpen NV van publiek recht is op geen enkele manier verantwoordelijk voor fouten of onnauwkeurigheden in de inhoud van deze e-mail. Havenbedrijf Antwerpen NV van publiek recht kan niet aansprakelijk gesteld worden voor directe of indirecte schade, verlies of ongemak veroorzaakt als gevolg van een onnauwkeurigheid of fout in deze e-mail.

English Translation: This e-mail and all attached files are official documents of Antwerp Port Authority and may contain confidential or personal information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are asked to inform the sender by e-mail or telephone immediately, and to remove it from your system without reading or reproducing it or passing it on to other parties. Antwerp Port Authority is in no way responsible for any errors or inaccuracies in the contents of this e-mail, nor can it be held liable for any direct or indirect loss, damage or inconvenience arising from any such errors or inaccuracies.

Re: Greenfield for cordova-plugin-network-information + release version 3.0.0

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
Welcome Pieter,

The best proposals are pull-requests.
All your suggestions sound perfectly reasonable, and I personally would love to see this happen.

Cheers,
  Jesse

Posted by Pieter Van Poyer <Pi...@portofantwerp.com>.
Hi

Thanks for the responses. I did read the responses. And I did subscribe myself to the dev list.
There seems to be some different visions.

Some highlights:
Niklas stated:
'
A new major version could possibly change that if we can get consensus about this but someone would need to do the work.
'
This is the purpose of my mail finding the right place/spot to discuss a next major (breaking) version.
Do I open a discussion on https://github.com/apache/cordova-discuss/ ?

Jesse states:
‘
The best proposals are pull-requests.
All your suggestions sound perfectly reasonable, and I personally would love to see this happen.
‘
I agree, but first I would like a basic agreement about the specs. It’s about a core plugin, I wouldn’t like to do an effort and afterwards have to discuss the specs.
When there is an agreement, I would love to do an effort for the Android and the Browser v4 implementation.

And off course the reasoning why I would like some changes is important. So.

-       When online, only detect following types: WIFI, MOBILE
      -> My reasoning for this is all about Keep It Simple.
      IMO most users are using this plugin to detect online or offline.
      Keeping specs about 2G, 3G, Ethernet, makes the code more difficult. Difficult code makes it more difficult for future plugin contributers.
      Another reason is, the more strict security and privacy restrictions on ios and android.
      This restriction could stop them from giving information about the network types. The browser doesn’t even reveal the type.
      A more specific plugin could indeed be about detecting all the different types (2G, 3G, 4G). But IMO this is no core feature.

-       Drop Windows platform support
-> Obvious I think. Keeps the codebase free from the Windows platform.

-       For android: use the NetworkCallback https://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/ConnectivityManager.NetworkCallback API
      instead of the deprecated CONNECTIVITY_ACTION from the Connectivitymanager.
      -> Remove the deprecated https://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/ConnectivityManager#CONNECTIVITY_ACTION android API. Make the android codebase future proof.

-       There can be more suggestions/improvements. Use Swift instead of Objective-C. (Although the ios part seems to be stable).

And about the release of the 3.0 version (current master), the previous version was released by Jan Piotrowski. But I do not think he is still an active maintainer of the plugin right now. Norman Breau did the most of the code review for version 3, but I do not think he has npm publish rights fort his plugin ( https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-network-information ).

Kind regards
Pieter Van Poyer

It would be good that instead of just saying what you would like to see changed, you also say why you would like it (benefits, reasoning, etc.)

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niklas Merz <ni...@apache.org>.
Hi Pieter

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.
Here is the repository on GitHub for quick reference:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-network-information

Unfortunately I am not familiar enough to make the 3.0.0 release. I would
recommend that you ping others on Slack and maybe raise an issue on GitHub.
Maintainers seem to be somewhat overloaded so please try again in case we
do not respond right away.

I just created 4.0.0 milestone and a couple extras in the middle in case we
need to make any intermediate releases.

I would recommend raising the new features in GitHub issues.

Considering that Cordova and many of its plugins are under heavy usage, I
would not expect the breaking changes to happen anytime soon. I would not
be opposed if you want to publish a fork with some improvements.