Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <rh...@telerama.com> on 2003/04/04 04:47:41 UTC

image scaling memory leak?

I know the FAQ discusses this...
It took me a couple of days to figure this out, but the image scaling that
I am doing in FOP is crashing my application.
All my images are returned via a servlet... If I turn the servlet engine
off, no images are returned and FOP runs like a champ... (although my
reports have no images)

If I do not do image scaling, my images look very bad....  If I do image
scaling, I can only handle about 20 reports (20 images each), before crashing.
All of my images are dynamic, returned as a PNG from a servlet with jFreeChart.

Even if I start out with a huge memory setting for my JVM, I will
eventually run out.

Any ideas on how I can proceed?  Is this FOP only, or all fo processors?
Thanks!

Re: image scaling memory leak?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
FOP does some primitive image caching. Now if you use dynamic images
coming from a servlet (each with a unique URL), FOP builds up a huge
list of these images without ever releasing them. I guess that's what's
happening.

The caching is done in org.apache.fop.image.FopImageFactory. You could
experiment with the resetCache() method to periodically clear the cache
which should make the cached images eligile for garbage collection and
resolve the problem. Maybe something more sophisticated is needed in
your case.

On 04.04.2003 04:47:41 Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> I know the FAQ discusses this...
> It took me a couple of days to figure this out, but the image scaling that
> I am doing in FOP is crashing my application.
> All my images are returned via a servlet... If I turn the servlet engine
> off, no images are returned and FOP runs like a champ... (although my
> reports have no images)
>
> If I do not do image scaling, my images look very bad....  If I do image
> scaling, I can only handle about 20 reports (20 images each), before crashing.
> All of my images are dynamic, returned as a PNG from a servlet with jFreeChart.
>
> Even if I start out with a huge memory setting for my JVM, I will
> eventually run out.
>
> Any ideas on how I can proceed?  Is this FOP only, or all fo processors?
> Thanks!

Jeremias Maerki