Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2005/06/22 08:46:18 UTC

[IMPORTANT] FOP and Batik loaded into test repository for verification

Henri Yandell has just informed me that he has imported the xml-batik
and xml-fop CVS modules into the test repository so we can check that
everything looks ok before the final import is done. Please verify that
everything is as expected by checking out your project from SVN. Don't
forget to check important branches like FOP's maintenance branch just to
be on the safe side. I'll do the same.

I'd like to get back to Henri within one day so the ball isn't dropped.
So I'd appreciate very quick feedback.

Once we've confirmed that everything looks good, I will notify Henri and
he will lock the xml-batik and xml-fop CVS modules (making them
read-only!!!) and do the final migration to the main SVN repository.

--------------------------

FOP is loaded into the Test repo:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/fop/

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/

Batik too:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/

--------------------------

More infos on Subversion and links to clients under:
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html

The command-line client (multi-platform):
http://subversion.tigris.org/

For those working on Windows, TortoiseSVN is the first choice besides
the command-line client:
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

On Eclipse, Subclipse 0.9.31 works pretty well. It can be retrieved
through the Update Site: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update
More info: http://subclipse.tigris.org/

--------------------------

The JIRA issue that tracks the whole migration task:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-357

Thanks,
Jeremias Maerki

Re: [IMPORTANT] FOP and Batik loaded into test repository for verification

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
I got FOP to build and run, but I'm having trouble with getting Batik
to build. Build clean works fine. Probably user error...

On Jun 21, 2005, at 11:46 PM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Henri Yandell has just informed me that he has imported the xml-batik
> and xml-fop CVS modules into the test repository so we can check that
> everything looks ok before the final import is done. Please verify that
> everything is as expected by checking out your project from SVN. Don't
> forget to check important branches like FOP's maintenance branch just
> be on the safe side. I'll do the same.
>
> I'd like to get back to Henri within one day so the ball isn't dropped.
> So I'd appreciate very quick feedback.
>
> Once we've confirmed that everything looks good, I will notify Henri
> and
> he will lock the xml-batik and xml-fop CVS modules (making them
> read-only!!!) and do the final migration to the main SVN repository.
>
> --------------------------
>
> FOP is loaded into the Test repo:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/fop/
>
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/
>

> Batik too:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/
>
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/
>
> --------------------------
>
> More infos on Subversion and links to clients under:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html
>
> The command-line client (multi-platform):
> http://subversion.tigris.org/
>
> For those working on Windows, TortoiseSVN is the first choice besides
> the command-line client:
> http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
>
> On Eclipse, Subclipse 0.9.31 works pretty well. It can be retrieved
> through the Update Site: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update
> More info: http://subclipse.tigris.org/
>
> --------------------------
>
> The JIRA issue that tracks the whole migration task:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-357
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremias Maerki

Regards,

Web Maestro Clay
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: [IMPORTANT] FOP and Batik loaded into test repository for verification

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
I got FOP to build and run, but I'm having trouble with getting Batik
to build. Build clean works fine. Probably user error...

On Jun 21, 2005, at 11:46 PM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Henri Yandell has just informed me that he has imported the xml-batik
> and xml-fop CVS modules into the test repository so we can check that
> everything looks ok before the final import is done. Please verify that
> everything is as expected by checking out your project from SVN. Don't
> forget to check important branches like FOP's maintenance branch just
> be on the safe side. I'll do the same.
>
> I'd like to get back to Henri within one day so the ball isn't dropped.
> So I'd appreciate very quick feedback.
>
> Once we've confirmed that everything looks good, I will notify Henri
> and
> he will lock the xml-batik and xml-fop CVS modules (making them
> read-only!!!) and do the final migration to the main SVN repository.
>
> --------------------------
>
> FOP is loaded into the Test repo:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/fop/
>
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/
>

> Batik too:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/
>
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/
>
> --------------------------
>
> More infos on Subversion and links to clients under:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html
>
> The command-line client (multi-platform):
> http://subversion.tigris.org/
>
> For those working on Windows, TortoiseSVN is the first choice besides
> the command-line client:
> http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
>
> On Eclipse, Subclipse 0.9.31 works pretty well. It can be retrieved
> through the Update Site: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update
> More info: http://subclipse.tigris.org/
>
> --------------------------
>
> The JIRA issue that tracks the whole migration task:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-357
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremias Maerki

Regards,

Web Maestro Clay

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Jeremias Maerki:
> Look here:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/sources/org/apache/batik/bridge/Bridge.java?only_with_tag=apache
>
> Bridge.java, for example, contains a reference to a "vendor branch"
> called "apache". Looking at the commit message it becomes clearer what
> was happening there. I think it was a temporary branch for a Hackathon
> happening back in 2000.

Ah, ok.

--
  e-mail : cam (at) mcc.id.au    	icq : 26955922
     web : http://mcc.id.au/	        msn : cam-msn (at) aka.mcc.id.au

Re: [IMPORTANT] FOP and Batik loaded into test repository for verification

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Ok, xml-batik is now cleared for final migration:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-357

I expect Henri Yandell to complete the migration this week, after which
we will get notified and the CVS module is set to read-only.

On 23.06.2005 12:33:03 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki:
> > I've cleared FOP for the final migration but I'm hesitant to do the same
> > for Batik. Cameron, what do you think?
>
> As long as that ConcreteInterpreter.java file goes away, it looks ok.  I
> tested the trunk without this file and it compiles and runs.  The svg12
> branch is ok too.
>
> I also just compared all the files between the CVS and SVN checked out
> directories for the trunk and svg12 branches and everything is in order,
> apart from that ConcreteInterpreter.java file.
>
> The only thing I'm puzzles about is the 'apache' branch.  I don't see it
> mentioned in the viewcvs web pages.  I don't know whether this is
> something that is deliberately in CVS or something that popped up by
> mistake in SVN?

Look here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/sources/org/apache/batik/bridge/Bridge.java?only_with_tag=apache

Bridge.java, for example, contains a reference to a "vendor branch"
called "apache". Looking at the commit message it becomes clearer what
was happening there. I think it was a temporary branch for a Hackathon
happening back in 2000.

I'd simply remove that branch and any other branches or tags that are
not important. We have stuff like this in FOP, too. It is easily removed
but still not lost should anyone ask for it later. The benefits of a
good version control software. :-)

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Jermias,

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Ok, so then I can clear the final migration? You can delete the zombie
> file after the migration.

    Yes, please do.  Thanks for taking care of this it is
greatly appreciated.

Re: [IMPORTANT] FOP and Batik loaded into test repository for verification

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 23.06.2005 12:03:39 Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > I've cleared FOP for the final migration but I'm hesitant to do the same
> > for Batik. Cameron, what do you think?
>
>     It's fine I pulled a copy and it builds (aside from the file
> rising from the dead).  It appears all our release tags are present.
> Other than some general SVN vs CVS issues which will never be
> fixed it looks good to me.

Ok, so then I can clear the final migration? You can delete the zombie
file after the migration.

> > And BTW, is Thomas on holidays?
>
>      No, just very, very busy.

I hear you! Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Jeremias Maerki:
> I've cleared FOP for the final migration but I'm hesitant to do the same
> for Batik. Cameron, what do you think?

As long as that ConcreteInterpreter.java file goes away, it looks ok.  I
tested the trunk without this file and it compiles and runs.  The svg12
branch is ok too.

I also just compared all the files between the CVS and SVN checked out
directories for the trunk and svg12 branches and everything is in order,
apart from that ConcreteInterpreter.java file.

The only thing I'm puzzles about is the 'apache' branch.  I don't see it
mentioned in the viewcvs web pages.  I don't know whether this is
something that is deliberately in CVS or something that popped up by
mistake in SVN?

> And BTW, is Thomas on holidays?

Don't know, sorry.

Cameron

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Hi Cameron

On 22.06.2005 10:22:57 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Hi Jeremias.
>
> Jeremias Maerki:
> > I'd like to get back to Henri within one day so the ball isn't dropped.
> > So I'd appreciate very quick feedback.
>
> Perhaps this is just my unfamiliarity with svn, but what is the
> difference between the 'apache' branch and the trunk?  And why is it
> that in the apache branch some directories are missing that are in the
> trunk?  For example here:
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/branches/apache/sources/org/apache/batik/
>
> the ext, extension, svggen and xml directories aren't listed.

At first, I thought we have a problem here, but I've checked out the
"apache" vendor branch from CVS and SVN and compared the two trees. They
are identical except for the different content in the $Id$ tags. Also
looking into the CVS log using ViewCVS I don't see any hint of trouble.

These files are also not listed in CVS. For example on of the package
HTML files in the ext directory doesn't contain the markers to make it
appear in the "apache" branch:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/sources/org/apache/batik/ext/awt/package.html?hideattic=0&rev=1.1&view=log

On the other side, Bridge.java has such a marker:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/sources/org/apache/batik/bridge/Bridge.java?hideattic=0&rev=1.8&view=log

>  Also,
> there is a test directory there which isn't in my checked out copy of
> cvs HEAD.  This seems to contain files which are "dead" according to
> viewcvs, for example:
>
>   http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/sources/org/apache/batik/test/gvt/?hideattic=0

But I don't see these files in the SVN trunk checkout, either, as you
found yourself.

Subversion works a little differently WRT deleted files. It doesn't have
an attic. Instead, when you delete a file, a new revision is created in
which this file doesn't show up. More insight below...

> I just checked out the svn trunk, and while it didn't give me that test
> directory it did however give me a sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl
> directory, which in CVS contains only "dead" files.  These old files
> cause the build to fail.

It looks like the directory refimpl has not been properly deleted. At
any rate, there is a file under this directory that still has the "MAIN"
branch mark which identifies it as alive:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/ConcreteInterpreterPool.java?hideattic=0&rev=1.7&view=log

I have two CVS HEAD checkouts of Batik. One has not refimpl directory
but the other has one. ???????

You probably don't get that file with a CVS checkout because CVS stops
at the refimpl directory which is probably marked dead. Since cvs2svn
runs through everything this file probably resurfaced. It will be easy
to delete it after the final import. That's probably less of a problem
than tracking down the exact cause and getting it fixed in cvs2svn.
Maybe it's even a CVS flaw. I don't know.

Below is the SVN log for the refimpl directory. You can see how
Interpreter.java was added and later deleted.
ConcreteInterpreterPool.java was never deleted. (more below)

C:\Dev\Java\workspace\FOP SVNTest>svn log -v http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/
r24919 | stefano | 2001-02-19 23:47:40 +0100 (Mo, 19 Feb 2001) | 2 lines
Geänderte Pfade:
   M /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/ConcreteInterpreterPool.java

made batik compile

r24766 | tkormann | 2001-01-23 23:02:40 +0100 (Di, 23 Jan 2001) | 6 lines
Geänderte Pfade:
   D /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/Interpreter.java
   D /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/InterpreterException.java
   D /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/InterpreterFactory.java
   D /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/InterpreterPool.java
   D /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/jacl
   D /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/jpython
   D /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/rhino

remove refimpl
PR:
Obtained from:
Submitted by:
Reviewed by:

r24764 | tkormann | 2001-01-23 18:17:48 +0100 (Di, 23 Jan 2001) | 6 lines
Geänderte Pfade:
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/Interpreter.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/InterpreterException.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/InterpreterFactory.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/InterpreterPool.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/jacl
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/jacl/JaclInterpreter.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/jacl/JaclInterpreterFactory.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/jpython
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/jpython/JPythonInterpreter.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/jpython/JPythonInterpreterFactory.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/rhino
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/rhino/EventTargetWrapHandler.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/rhino/EventTargetWrapper.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/rhino/RhinoInterpreter.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/rhino/RhinoInterpreterFactory.java

missing stuffs added
PR:
Obtained from:
Submitted by:
Reviewed by:

r24763 | tkormann | 2001-01-23 18:14:29 +0100 (Di, 23 Jan 2001) | 6 lines
Geänderte Pfade:
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/ConcreteInterpreterPool.java
<snip/>
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/svggen/XmlWriter.java
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/swing
   A /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/swing/JSVGCanvas.java
   M /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/transcoder/image/ImageTranscoder.java
   M /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/transcoder/image/PNGTranscoder.java
   M /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/util/DocumentLoadRunnable.java
   D /xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/util/awt

huge and incredible reorganisation :)
PR:
Obtained from:
Submitted by:
Reviewed by:

Depending on the revision you look at, the same URL gives you output or
not. It depends on whether a file is present in a certain revision or
not.

C:\Dev\Java\workspace\FOP SVNTest>svn log -r 24766 http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/Interpreter.
java
svn: REPORT Anfrage fehlgeschlagen auf '/repos/test/!svn/bc/24766/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/Interpreter.java'
svn: '/repos/test/!svn/bc/24766/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/Interpreter.java' Pfad nicht gefunden

C:\Dev\Java\workspace\FOP SVNTest>svn log -r 24764 http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/trunk/sources/org/apache/batik/refimpl/script/Interpreter.
java
r24764 | tkormann | 2001-01-23 18:17:48 +0100 (Di, 23 Jan 2001) | 6 lines

missing stuffs added
PR:
Obtained from:
Submitted by:
Reviewed by:

Sorry for the complicated response. I hope this clears up a few things.
What's wrong with the refimpl directory is beyond me, but the rest looks
pretty good to me.

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Hi Jeremias.

Jeremias Maerki:
> I'd like to get back to Henri within one day so the ball isn't dropped.
> So I'd appreciate very quick feedback.

Perhaps this is just my unfamiliarity with svn, but what is the
difference between the 'apache' branch and the trunk?  And why is it
that in the apache branch some directories are missing that are in the
trunk?  For example here:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/batik/branches/apache/sources/org/apache/batik/

the ext, extension, svggen and xml directories aren't listed.  Also,

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
I checked out the trunk, added and removed a file, and built and ran
the checked out code: no problems. All the tags and branches are there.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Re: [IMPORTANT] FOP and Batik loaded into test repository for verification

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Clay, Simon and Andreas,

thank you for your feedback. I haven't found any problems, either. I'm
going to clear FOP for final migration. I'm unsure about Batik at this
point, however.

Andreas, your question doesn't sound stupid. It's simply that Subversion
works differently. Each revision represents a snapshot of the whole
repository. Tags and branches are done using cheap copies. You'll find
the maintenance branch here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/fop/branches/fop-0_20_2-maintain/

As another example the 0.20.5 release is found here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/fop/tags/fop-0_20_5/

When you tag the repository in the sense of CVS you actually copy the
trunk (https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/) to
a new directory under the "tags" directory. It's not that the whole
content is then copied. Subversion supports "cheap" copies which only
creates the information necessary to recreate a consistent states.

I recommend you read the SVN Book at: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/, or
especially the chapter about "Subversion for CVS users":
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/apa.html

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.