Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/06/03 04:52:15 UTC

a few uimaj jars now in SNAPSHOT repo

While helping Jerry get going with building uima-as, rather than him
locally building uimaj (base), I just deployed the jars uima-as was
depending on, to the snapshot repository, where Maven found them.  (I
used "mvn deploy" to do this). We had to use the mvn ... -U parameter to
cause maven to re-look for updated Snapshots (-U param found by typing
mvn --help).

Worked well.

Some day when we have our CI going, this will be more automatic :-)

-Marshall

Re: a few uimaj jars now in SNAPSHOT repo

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marshall,
Things are clearer now :)

2010/6/4 Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>

> On 6/3/2010 3:20 AM, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> > Hi Marshall,
> > I was just writing an email about that :) I was reading past (email)
> > documentation regarding whole building procedure [1] so I wondered if we
> can
> > get also other UIMA artifacts (whole uimaj, uima-as and sandbox) to such
> > repo and how can we do it (in more detail).
> >

> Once you set up your workstation with the right things to use "mvn
> deploy", it's as easy as doing mvn deploy :-).
>
> > As you said and reading [2] with Hudson we could get this automatically
> (in
> > Apache Clerezza we also have this automatic deploy of snapshots) but at
> the
> > moment I don't know who can deploy UIMA artifacts to SNAPSHOT and how.
> >

> Any committer can deploy, as far as I know.  You do have to follow the
> instructions posted earlier, in getting a repository login, I believe.

Ok, I will inspect that

> > One reason for this is also to permit other Apache projects to "use" UIMA
> > artifacts without having to specify m2-incubating-repository [3] which is
> > considered external (and consequently problematic for releasing purpose).
> >

> We have to remember that "Snapshots" are temporary, and infra has been
> known to "clean up" snapshots by deleting *all* of them.  They are to be
> used for testing etc., during development, only, because they haven't
> been voted on, etc.

I didn't know snapshots get removed from time to time, good to know.
Obviously is fair to rely on releases only :)

> Once we "release", then, sure, other projects could easily depend on the
> jars we release.  The plan (as I have imagined it) is to deploy all the
> jars (and poms) to the repo as part of the release process; they would
> then be uploaded to maven central.
>
> In addition, we would still do assemblies of things for uimaj, uima-as,
> uima-cpp.  I'm thinking that for add-ons, we would release those
> separately, individually.

I'm +1 for separate releases of addons.

Thanks again.
Tommaso

Re: a few uimaj jars now in SNAPSHOT repo

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

On 6/3/2010 3:20 AM, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> Hi Marshall,
> I was just writing an email about that :) I was reading past (email)
> documentation regarding whole building procedure [1] so I wondered if we can
> get also other UIMA artifacts (whole uimaj, uima-as and sandbox) to such a
> repo and how can we do it (in more detail).

Once you set up your workstation with the right things to use "mvn
deploy", it's as easy as doing mvn deploy :-).

> As you said and reading [2] with Hudson we could get this automatically (in
> Apache Clerezza we also have this automatic deploy of snapshots) but at the
> moment I don't know who can deploy UIMA artifacts to SNAPSHOT and how.

Any committer can deploy, as far as I know.  You do have to follow the
instructions posted earlier, in getting a repository login, I believe.
> One reason for this is also to permit other Apache projects to "use" UIMA
> artifacts without having to specify m2-incubating-repository [3] which is
> considered external (and consequently problematic for releasing purpose).

We have to remember that "Snapshots" are temporary, and infra has been
known to "clean up" snapshots by deleting *all* of them.  They are to be
used for testing etc., during development, only, because they haven't
been voted on, etc.

Once we "release", then, sure, other projects could easily depend on the
jars we release.  The plan (as I have imagined it) is to deploy all the
jars (and poms) to the repo as part of the release process; they would
then be uploaded to maven central.

In addition, we would still do assemblies of things for uimaj, uima-as,
uima-cpp.  I'm thinking that for add-ons, we would release those
separately, individually.

Cheers. -Marshall

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marshall,