Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/10 18:32:59 UTC

Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility

No one really responded to this Shai? And I take it that the user list
never saw it?

Perhaps we should just ask for opinion from the user list based on what
you already have - just to gauge the reaction on different points.
Unless someone responds shortly, we could take a year waiting to shake
it out.
The threat of sending should prompt anyone with any issues to speak up.

I think we should add though:
explicitly what has changed (eg if we switch something, what was the
policy before - most users won't even know)
an overview of why we are interested in relaxing back compat

- Mark

- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Right - I'd actually hold off now. I figured the threat of sending might
prompt some action ;)

It still wouldn't hurt to know what the users think, perhaps at more
digestible, overview level though.

I do think Yonik torpedoed something this liberal :)

Thats not a bad thing though. We will find the right answer somewhere
between the two of you I hope.

We may already be at some half way point - we have experimental apis and
exceptions at an ever growing rate.

As you also mention, as more of the code moves to abstract classes, back
compat is eased anyway.

- Mark

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.