Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Gregory F. March" <ma...@gfm.net> on 2003/06/12 20:46:36 UTC

Understanging Path/Action/Forward/Parameter naming

Please forgive the naive question that follows...

Is there a write up somewhere that explains how Struts deals with
names?

Specifically, I would like to understand the different syntaxs of
"path", "name" and "parameter" arguments.

In the following, what is "name" and "path":

    <forward name="aname" path="apath">
    <forward name="aname" path="/apath2">
    <forward name="aname" path="/apath3.do">

And the same thing in:

    <action path="/apath" input="apath2" parameter="apath3" ... >

... and all its variants.

How does one know if it is a real path, a name to be looked up, an
action, a tile definition, etc.?  What are the rules?

I think some of my past questions would have been avoided if I
understood these concepts.

Thanks,

/greg

--
Gregory F. March    -=-    http://www.gfm.net:81/~march    -=-    AIM:GfmNet

Re: Understanging Path/Action/Forward/Parameter naming

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Gregory F. March wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:46:36 -0400
> From: Gregory F. March <ma...@gfm.net>
> Subject: Understanging Path/Action/Forward/Parameter naming
>

> Please forgive the naive question that follows...
>
> Is there a write up somewhere that explains how Struts deals with
> names?
>
> Specifically, I would like to understand the different syntaxs of
> "path", "name" and "parameter" arguments.
>
> In the following, what is "name" and "path":
>
>     <forward name="aname" path="apath">
>     <forward name="aname" path="/apath2">
>     <forward name="aname" path="/apath3.do">
>
> And the same thing in:
>
>     <action path="/apath" input="apath2" parameter="apath3" ... >
>
> ... and all its variants.
>
> How does one know if it is a real path, a name to be looked up, an
> action, a tile definition, etc.?  What are the rules?
>
> I think some of my past questions would have been avoided if I
> understood these concepts.

Besides the fact that it's covered in the user guide and the many books
and articles about Struts, the details of all the configuration elements
and attributes are copiously documented in the DTD itself.  Check out the
"struts-config_1_1.dtd" file in the "lib" subdirectory of your Struts
distribution.