Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org> on 2020/09/21 06:54:21 UTC

Re: Can you unify the language ?

Hi,

you are right. Having two languages in the code base doesn't make our
lives easier. But Flink is a big project with a long history, multiple
design shifts, and many contributors. It is naturally that the bigger a
code base gets, the messier it looks like. It must be a continuous
effort to improve legacy code.

We are aiming to have Scala only in dedicated API modules. We encourage
people to choose Java whenever new code is developed or refactored. So
eventually, Flink might be Scala free but this will take some time.

For example, we have already dedicated porting guidelines for the
flink-table module [1][2]. I'm sure other component maintainers have
similar thoughts.

Regards,
Timo

[1]