Posted to dev@training.apache.org by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/01 20:38:59 UTC

Training in the Apache Way (and generally)

Hi Apache Training,

I am working with the administration at a local community college students
to learn things coding/computing.  Computer Science is an 'impacted' major,
meaning not all students are not even able to gain access to those classes,
so there is motivation to figure out how to expand those capabilities (and
I am specifically in discussion for ways to train immigrant and ESL
students).

This has me exploring both what is available and what would be good to
create.  Outside of the technical skills, I am imagining teaching them
about (and encourage living by) the Apache Way.  It seems such awareness
would be beneficial to people as they are learning (and anyone more
generally); In addition this might serve as a pipeline for the future for
people that would contribute positively to Apache.  Furthermore, elsewhere
I've seen desires to continue to increase diversity around the foundation,
this specific use-case and population would then potentially also further
those goals.

This is a super open question, and I see this group is just beginning.
Looking forward to finding the positive ways to contribute.

Cheers,
Austin

Re: Training in the Apache Way (and generally)

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lars,

Certainly much to be done...

Among other things, I have imagined preparing/producing content and getting
it online somewhere people already are -- like Coursera, Udacity, Edx.
Fwiw: Linux Foundation has relationships with Coursera and EdX.
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/press-release/2018/12/the-linux-foundation-and-coursera-launch-new-specialization-for-open-source-linux-and-git/

It seems common things could be compiled to save many from recreating for
different purposes.  We're looking at getting such a session on
git/jira/etc into our forthcoming Beam Summit -- will hope when we get
content together that it can be donated to apache training.

There could be content like the above Coursera specialization - that are
generic and applicable to many Apache projects - as well as aid and
structure for usability of specific projects (that becomes outdated
sooner).  Starting with jira, git, mailing lists, understanding types of
voting, building consensus, etc.  I believe such courses can be freely
available through such platforms, but don't know the terms/agreements with
the platforms, specifically.  This was one avenue I imagined could be
fruitful.  Naturally could be done in less interactive ways, or where
things are self-hosted, but also think about the reach -- people savvy
enough to scour internet looking for apache training documents, might
readily find those resources, going to where more people are and helping
hold their hand might help cast an even wider net.

Best,
Austin

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lars,

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Hi Austin,

thanks for reaching out to us! What you plan on doing sounds awesome and
we'd love to help you out as much as we can of course.

As you noticed yourself, we are still in the early days of setting up the
training project and currently mostly involved in organizational day-to-day
things, but we certainly hope to leave that stage soon and actually get to
work.
So I am unsure how much actual help we can currently provide, to be honest,
but please do stay tuned into this list and if you have any suggestions, by
all means, let us know!!

Also, as you said there is a lot of activity around inclusion and diversity
currently, I believe a proposal is being prepared for the board currently
and a mailing list specifically for this topic has been set up / will be
set up shortly. They are currently at an even earlier state than we are I
think, but that might be well worth following as well for you.

Again, sorry for not having anything concrete at this moment!

Best regards,
Sönke

--
Sönke Liebau