Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/27 12:42:55 UTC

How does the Client Container work?

Hi,

as I understand, the Client Container is to provide a mapping for EJB
references via [geronimo-]application-client.xml. Is this done on the client
side or server side? Where is the XML file parsed? Or is the Client
Container something virtual at server side?

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC22/Deploying+and+running+Java+EE+application+client
says "an application client that runs in the Apache Geronimo application
client container rather than running in your local Java environment."
But the sample client does nothing in main, so I do not see how any
container can get control (e.g. to provide an EJB mapping or do client EJB
injections).

If you run
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/sandbox/magicGball/magicGball-client/src/main/java/org/acme/MagicGBallClient.java?view=markup
main() goes into
Context ctx = new InitialContext();
Object o = ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/mGball");

How does the lookup work? by having a jndi.properties in the classpath and
the factory doing magic?

I'd expect that you'd have to start some Geronimo classes' main as entry
from command line which sets up JNDI and injections and then calls you own
main client class, but I did not see this in any examples

Thanks,
Juergen

Re: How does the Client Container work?

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.
I think if it would just become possible to have the container wrapped
by a remote server instance, then JNLP is just around the corner.

Unfortunately JNLP only supports shipping JARs. But there are 2 ways
to get geronimo to then work with JNLP.

First would be if geronimo would do all it's file handling through
URLs, it would make it easier to have everything shipped in JARs. The
biggest problem here is probably the repository and {GERONIMO}/var.
You would have to use the JNLP API to get places for these
directories, but if this were to generalized into an plugin and API,
you could have 2 separate plugins, one for the standard server and one
for the JNLP server. The JNLP server would use JNLP api to get a local
directory for it's caches, derby, etc.

The easiest solution, which requires no changes to Geronimo would
require a signed JAR though. This JAR would then have the
<all-permission/> tag, and once executed would "install" geronimo into
a local directory on the machine. If it's already installed it would
just execute it. JNLP purists disagree with this. I myself don't see
anything wrong with this, as it fits perfectly into the "deployment
science" theories.

Quintin Beukes

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.
Hey,

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.
I opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4899.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Sep 27, 2009, at 3:42 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> as I understand, the Client Container is to provide a mapping for EJB
> references via [geronimo-]application-client.xml. Is this done on
> the client
> side or server side? Where is the XML file parsed? Or is the Client
> Container something virtual at server side?

XML processing and annotation scanning all happen at deploy time on
the server side.