Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kosmaj <ko...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/16 16:19:06 UTC

RelayChecker too slow?

Hello,
I'm new to the list. I joined a week ago.
I'm using 3.1.7 on Windows through JSpamAssassin and
Outlook Express. I'm not using Bayes yet.
A few days ago in order to fight stock and gif spam
I installed as my first plug-ins ImageInfo and RelayChecker-0.3.
I was very happy with RC because in a number of cases it
was the only rule capable to detect spam. But then
I noticed that I have more undetected spam, without
any SA header, with only "+OK nnn octets" signature
by JSA. I disabled RC and in last 2 hrs I got SA header in
every message. JSA has an internal timeout of 20 sec
which I cannot change without rebuilding the whole
application. Is there a way to speed up RC?
I'm running the default setup with:
relaychecker_pass_auth  0
relaychecker_reduced_dns  0

OTOH, in ImageInfo I changed the rule for DC_GIF_UNO_LARGO
by reducing minimum __GIF_AREA_ from 180k to 40k pixels.
I collected about 10 different spam GIFs and found only
two of them larger than 180k pixels.

Any hints about speeding up RC, or using other rules
(plug-ins) instead will be greatly appreciated.
[I'm not using Razor and DCC since I read that it's
hard to have them running on Windows. BTW, I handle about
400 mails a day, 80% of them are spam.]

Thanks,
Kosmaj

Sponsored Link

Compare mortgage rates for today.
Get up to 5 free quotes.
Www2.nextag.com

Re: RelayChecker too slow?

Posted by Kosmaj <ko...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for your help!

With relaychecker_reduced_dns set to 1 JSA successfully
processed next 150 messages without a single time-out fialure!
While RC worked and was hit many times.

Kosmaj

--- John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Kosmaj wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm new to the list. I joined a week ago.
> > I'm using 3.1.7 on Windows through JSpamAssassin and
> > Outlook Express. I'm not using Bayes yet.
> > A few days ago in order to fight stock and gif spam
> > I installed as my first plug-ins ImageInfo and RelayChecker-0.3.
> > I was very happy with RC because in a number of cases it
> > was the only rule capable to detect spam. But then
> > I noticed that I have more undetected spam, without
> > any SA header, with only "+OK nnn octets" signature
> > by JSA. I disabled RC and in last 2 hrs I got SA header in
> > every message. JSA has an internal timeout of 20 sec
> > which I cannot change without rebuilding the whole
> > application. Is there a way to speed up RC?
> > I'm running the default setup with:
> > relaychecker_pass_auth  0
> > relaychecker_reduced_dns  0
>
> try setting that last one to 1.