Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2002/02/06 01:44:13 UTC

Did OpenSource need J2EE ? - WAS : Java is dead... but it could still be saved!

>Try to imagine what makes Sun officials worry more:
>
>- the guy who pushed java technology in the ASF since '97 and was so
>efficient with his java-lover friends that the ASF has more than 70% of
>its code written in Java and now thinks seriously at
>abandoning the boat
>because java technical evolution can't stand the rate of community
>evolution
>
>- the java enthusiasts who is going to sit in front of the moscone
>center in order to change Sun official's minds about Java licensing
>saying that they lied to him because instead of giving him
>100% of their
>intellectual property, they gave him just 90% and now they are keeping
>the 10% for them
>
>Now tell me: who is wasting his time?

Could we sit down a second and just ask ourself if OpenSource need J2EE ?

What's the opinion of ASF members about the current JDK J2SE 1.3 ?

Can't we start from the latest J2SE 1.3 and add the missing pieces ?

If J2EE became too restrictive, why not stay with J2SE 1.3 ?

One of the jakarta strength is to provide very powerfull tools, api
and applications for java community and could provide valid
alternatives to costly or closed technology...

Re: Did OpenSource need J2EE ? - WAS : Java is dead... but it could still be saved!

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Yes - http://www.jboss.org/ -

> What's the opinion of ASF members about the current JDK J2SE 1.3 ?
>
> Can't we start from the latest J2SE 1.3 and add the missing pieces ?
>
> If J2EE became too restrictive, why not stay with J2SE 1.3 ?

And what about J2SE 1.4