Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2012/10/19 11:20:51 UTC

query re: couchdb's use of git.

Hi couchdb'ers...

I'm a committer on Apache Isis, which just (as of this Wed) graduated out
of the incubator.... So my interest isn't in couchdb per se (actually, it's
a cool product though, and we do intend to integrate with it at some
stage)... however I'd very much like to pick your brains on your use of GIT.

For the last few months I've been maintaining a read-only clone  of our SVN
codebase on github, which works well....  we saw the number of contributors
increase, so it seemed like a good way to build community.

Looking around, it seems that we could formalize the current arrangement by
leaving our code on SVN and by having the clone moved to git.apache.org.
 However, it would still require the tedious "git svn rebase / git svn
dcommit" dance, which I'd really like to avoid.

Poking around your website and wiki, it does seem to me that you've managed
to make GIT into your primary repo, and abandon SVN all together?

So, my question is: is there a process for doing this?  All of the
documentation in ASF at the moment seems to be related to maintaining a GIT
mirror but still having SVN as the master.

Many thanks

Dan Haywood
Apache Isis (VP)