Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/07 20:37:54 UTC

Initial outline of features for 0.6 Airavata release

Main features targeted for 0.6 release so far,

1. Registry Rest Service API
The Registry Service API will be the same as Registry API in Airavata 0.5.
It will have JSON support to handle the complex objects.

2. Security framework for Airavata web services
This is the first introduction of a security framework for working with
Airavata system. For 0.6 we will have this security framework applied to
the Registry Rest service. Currently supporting authentication mechanisms
based on above framework are the following,

   - Basic Authentication [shipped as the default configuration with h2
   back-end]
   - Session Authentication

Comments, suggestions, additions are welcome....

Regards,
Saminda

Re: Initial outline of features for 0.6 Airavata release

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Amila,

>> We first should asses the feasibility and implementation on adding security modules into the release. Since they are in the sandbox now, probably a good time to merge them into trunk and brainstorm how this will impact tutorials and so forth. I see an open JIRA's on this - AIRAVATA-560.
>
> +1.
>
> Let me further explain about the security framework. The security
> framework is mainly focusing on the REST service interface. Using this
> security framework we can build implementations to handle various
> protocols, such as BasicAuth, OAuth, NTLM etc ... Also using security
> framework we can implement plugins to connect to various user stores
> such as databases, LDAP server, external web services etc ...
> As per now we have following protocol implementations,
> 1. Basic Auth
> 2. Session Ticket
>
> We have following user store connecters,
> 1. Database
> 2. LDAP
>
> In addition to above, using the framework, users can implement their
> own protocol implementations and user store implementation.
> Users are required to modify a configuration file called
> authenticator.xml inorder to enable security. I will write a tutorial
> on this.
>
> Further for demonstrating purpose we will be creating a user table in
> our default database (Derby) and use that for authenticating users.
> Also we will provide an interface to register new users.
>
> Further feedback appreciated.

This sounds like a good plan. Just want to clarify, your current plan is to enable security for the registry service rest interface right? I would personally prefer smaller increments of releases until we get to 1.0. So it will be good to confine the release 0.6 to Registry service interface and the security additions you propose.

Please try and submit patches in multiple well defined JIRA's, so the dev's can review in and follow your security implementations.

Thanks for your contributions,
Suresh

Re: Initial outline of features for 0.6 Airavata release

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]

framework we can implement plugins to connect to various user stores
such as databases, LDAP server, external web services etc ...
As per now we have following protocol implementations,
1. Basic Auth
2. Session Ticket

We have following user store connecters,
1. Database
2. LDAP

In addition to above, using the framework, users can implement their
own protocol implementations and user store implementation.
Users are required to modify a configuration file called
authenticator.xml inorder to enable security. I will write a tutorial
on this.

Further for demonstrating purpose we will be creating a user table in
our default database (Derby) and use that for authenticating users.
Also we will provide an interface to register new users.

Thanks
Amila

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Saminda,
>
> Thanks for taking the initiate on the release and implicitly to be the
> release manager :), the release management instructions [1] are in good
> shape now and I will be happy to help with release logistics and update the
> instructions as we learn through.
>
> Comments on the release features:
>
> On Nov 7, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Raminderjeet Singh <ra...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > One step should be to remove dependency of direct sql interactions from
> Xbaya and use Rest services. Right now user need to know database
> credentials to connect to airavata registry from Xbaya.
>
> + 1, this should get addressed through the rest interface, but we should
> focus on this aspect to ensure. A good way to check is all clients
> including xbaya should not need airavata-server.properties and should only
> need airavata-client.properties with default registry service end point
> which should be configurable from xbaya menu.
>
> > On Nov 7, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Saminda Wijeratne wrote:
> >
> >> Main features targeted for 0.6 release so far,
> >>
> >> 1. Registry Rest Service API
> >> The Registry Service API will be the same as Registry API in Airavata
> 0.5.
> >> It will have JSON support to handle the complex objects.
>
> A good addition. We need to ensure, airavata client uses this service
> api's and ensure all interactions to airavata come through the client. I
> created lira's AIRAVATA-631, AIRAVATA-632 and AIRAVATA-633 on this topic.

+1
Will start working on it ASAP.

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Saminda,

Posted by Raminderjeet Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.
One step should be to remove dependency of direct sql interactions from Xbaya and use Rest services. Right now user need to know database credentials to connect to airavata registry from Xbaya.

Thanks
Raminder

Re: Airavata 0.6 release plan

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
I agree as well. Lets defer all the issues outstanding issues to 0.7 and later. I am + 1 for start preparing for the release. If we wait longer we will budge too many features at once.

Suresh

Re: Airavata 0.6 release plan

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi Ate,
> >
> > Thank you for taking time to review the issues and reminding the JIRA.
> With the delayed release schedules we haven't been effectively using the
> JIRA's. I think we have to set a fixed time for the releases and call out
> for coding sprints and streamline this process a bit.
> >
> > Saminda, since you are the RM, I will defer to your call on the issues
> to be addressed vs deferred to 0.7 release. I will review them too, but it
> will be early tomorrow.
>
> I think we have  considerable amount of features added to scheduled
> 0.6. Therefore I think we should release if there are no any
> showstoppers. All other Jira's should be scheduled for future
> releases. So I guess we should increase the priority of Jiras which
> needs to go into release.

+1

Lahiru

--
System Analyst Programmer
PTI Lab

Re: Airavata 0.6 release plan

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: Airavata 0.6 release plan

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Ate,

Re: Airavata 0.6 release plan

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
On Jan 10, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> I'm not involved really right now, so please take my comments below for what it is worth :)
>
> Regarding the 0.6 release plan: aren't there a bit too many issues still outstanding for 0.6 (22)? Or are those intended to be move to 0.7+?
>
> Unrelated, but IMO much more important is the yet unscheduled AIRAVATA-396.
> Its depending on AIRAVATA-406 which is scheduled for 1.0, but maybe that shoud be regarded as kind of unscheduled too?
> I do think this issue however is rather important, even if not a functional one, so would suggest bumping its priority.

Hi Ate,

Thank you again for pointing these out. You are right, the AIRAVATA-406 is rather an important one. In looking through it, it is a big task, so I will split it into sub tasks and try to close these issues and remove all non maven central dependencies during the next three releases.

Suresh

Re: Airavata 0.6 release plan

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Hi team,