Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org> on 2014/08/04 11:39:59 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1614891 - in /jackrabbit/oak/trunk/oak-core/src: main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/api/jmx/ main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/index/ test/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/index/

On 31/07/2014 15:47, alexparvulescu@apache.org wrote:
> Author: alexparvulescu
> Date: Thu Jul 31 13:47:06 2014
> New Revision: 1614891

> Log:
> OAK-2004 Add a way to pause the background async indexer

Didn't look deeply into the commit. Did we consider the fact that when
the index is resumed it should spool any commit that came while paused?
If not, should we run then a reindex with the consequent time taken for
re-indexing large repositories?

D.

Posted by Alex Parvulescu <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Davide,

Interesting, this was not even merged to 1.0 yet and it's already being
used for other-than-mentioned purposes :)

Drawbacks are around the fact that the async indexes are stale (falling
behind) so they will report old data to any query that hits them. Other
than than, issues could pop up around the volume of data being indexed, but
that is index implementation specific.

hope this helps,
alex

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Parvulescu <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Davide,

The way the async indexer works is it keeps a reference to the last indexed
revision, and on the next run it will build a diff containing everything
since. So when you resume it will include everything that changed already
without needed a full reindex.

best,
alex