Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2005/02/20 14:39:14 UTC

Proposal: Make --with-program-name *NOT* rename httpd.conf, but *DO* rename httpd.pid

Proposal: Make --with-program-name *NOT* rename httpd.conf, but *DO* rename
httpd.pid

Since apache installs many config files, these config files are never placed
directly into /etc, since that would be too messy. Rather they go into a
specific subdirectory. Therefore, renaming httpd.conf does not serve to
avoid conflicts with other apache installations, since the rest of the
subdirectory would still conflict. It just makes it less obvious exactly
what the file is.

However, PidFiles usually do get placed in one system-global directory, so
if the program name was changed to avoid conflicts, it is likely that the
pid file will need to be changed as well. Therefore I think the pidfile
default name should be <programname>.pid, not httpd.pid.

Does this seem sensible?

Thanks.

Max.

Re: Proposal: Make --with-program-name *NOT* rename httpd.conf, but *DO* rename httpd.pid

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Proposal: Make --with-program-name *NOT* rename httpd.conf, but *DO*
>> rename httpd.pid
>>
>> Since apache installs many config files, these config files are never
>> placed directly into /etc, since that would be too messy. Rather they go
>> into a specific subdirectory. Therefore, renaming httpd.conf does not
>> serve to avoid conflicts with other apache installations, since the rest
>> of the subdirectory would still conflict. It just makes it less obvious
>> exactly what the file is.
>>
>> However, PidFiles usually do get placed in one system-global directory,
>> so if the program name was changed to avoid conflicts, it is likely that
>> the pid file will need to be changed as well. Therefore I think the
>> pidfile default name should be <programname>.pid, not httpd.pid.
>>

>> Does this seem sensible?
>
> Did you mean to send that to the httpd dev list?

Ooops. *embarrassed*.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> Proposal: Make --with-program-name *NOT* rename httpd.conf, but *DO*
> rename httpd.pid
>
> Since apache installs many config files, these config files are never
> placed directly into /etc, since that would be too messy. Rather they go
> into a specific subdirectory. Therefore, renaming httpd.conf does not
> serve to avoid conflicts with other apache installations, since the rest
> of the subdirectory would still conflict. It just makes it less obvious
> exactly what the file is.
>
> However, PidFiles usually do get placed in one system-global directory,
> so if the program name was changed to avoid conflicts, it is likely that
> the pid file will need to be changed as well. Therefore I think the
> pidfile default name should be <programname>.pid, not httpd.pid.
>

> Does this seem sensible?

Did you mean to send that to the httpd dev list?

-garrett