Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/22 08:20:58 UTC

Message based web services

Hi,
         I have a query regarding Axis. In Axis we can deploy message based
web services with a WSDD as shown below

<deployment
       xmlns="http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsdd/"
       xmlns:java="http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsdd/providers/java"
       xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance">
  <service name="CatalogPublisherService" provider="*java:MSG*">
    <parameter name="className"
      value="xyz"
     />
    <parameter name="allowedMethods" value="publishCatalog"/>
  </service>
</deployment>

Is it possible to do this in the geronimo axis implementation?  Also is this
feature of axis an implementation of any Java spec?
Also the axis site says that it supports transports other than http. Is this
supported in Geronimo?

Thanks in Advance
Manu

Re: Message based web services

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
David Blevins wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2006, at 11:20 PM, Manu George wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>          I have a query regarding Axis. In Axis we can deploy message
>> based web services with a WSDD as shown below
>> <deployment
>> xmlns="http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsdd/"
>> xmlns:java=" http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsdd/providers/java"
>> xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance ">
>> <service name="CatalogPublisherService" provider="java:MSG">
>> <parameter name="className"
>> value="xyz"
>> />
>> <parameter name="allowedMethods" value="publishCatalog"/>
>> </service>
>> </deployment> Is it possible to do this in the geronimo axis
>> implementation?  Also is this feature of axis an implementation of
>> any Java spec?
>> Also the axis site says that it supports transports other than http.
>> Is this supported in Geronimo?
>
> Just going to throw out you may want to look at ServiceMix for your
> needs.  Overall, J2EE Web Services don't sound like what you are
> looking for.
>
> -David

If you want to go the non-J2EE route there is always XFire -
http://xfire.codehaus.org/. You can just create a service class like:

public class MyService {
  public Document getCatalog();
}

See the docs or ping the mailing list for more detail.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions LLC

Re: Message based web services

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Feb 21, 2006, at 11:20 PM, Manu George wrote:

> Hi,
>          I have a query regarding Axis. In Axis we can deploy
> message based web services with a WSDD as shown below
> <deployment
> xmlns="http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsdd/"
> xmlns:java=" http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsdd/providers/java"
> xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance ">
> <service name="CatalogPublisherService" provider="java:MSG">
> <parameter name="className"
> value="xyz"
> />
> <parameter name="allowedMethods" value="publishCatalog"/>
> </service>
> </deployment>

> Is it possible to do this in the geronimo axis implementation?

We don't support the wsdd files and J2EE web services are very RPC
focused.  To my knowledge, the closest you can get is using SAAJ
which gives you a DOM-like version of the message.  But you'd still
be forced to map that message to a method of a service class.

> Also is this feature of axis an implementation of any Java spec?

Not strictly, though it may be influenced by some standard concept.

> Also the axis site says that it supports transports other than
> http. Is this supported in Geronimo?

Http/https only.

> Thanks in Advance

You're very welcome!