Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Stephen Collyer <sc...@netspinner.co.uk> on 2005/05/07 14:14:36 UTC

Installing Xerces-c in /lib, /usr/include

I've built xerces-c according to the build instructions at
http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build.html via:

runConfigure; make; make install

and it seems to have put the include files in /usr/local/include/xercesc
and left the libs (bizarrely ?) in the lib dir in the source tree.

I'd like to do a build and end up with includes in the /usr/include
and libs in /usr/lib.

Can anyone tell me if this is easily possible via runConfigure,
or how else it can be done ?

--
Regards

Stephen Collyer
Netspinner Ltd

Re: Installing Xerces-c in /lib, /usr/include

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
At 11.04 09/05/2005 +0100, Stephen Collyer wrote:
>Alberto Massari wrote:
>>At 13.14 07/05/2005 +0100, Stephen Collyer wrote:
>>Hi Stephen,
>>Xerces doesn't currently use "make install" to populate a target
>>directory with the output of the compilation. The closest script that
>>does it is scripts/packageBinaries.pl that is used to build, install and
>>create the distribution packages that are available on the web site.
>
>OK thanks for this, I'll take a look at it. Any idea why there's
>no "make install" target ? Seems to be a bit of an omission.

Xerces' makefile has been hand built several years ago to support, amonst
the others, mainframe platforms where autoconf/automake was not available.
But we are currently working on switching to the usual "configure; make;
make install" build procedure...

Alberto

Re: Installing Xerces-c in /lib, /usr/include

Posted by Stephen Collyer <sc...@netspinner.co.uk>.

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
At 13.14 07/05/2005 +0100, Stephen Collyer wrote:
>I've built xerces-c according to the build instructions at
>http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build.html via:
>
>runConfigure; make; make install
>
>and it seems to have put the include files in /usr/local/include/xercesc
>and left the libs (bizarrely ?) in the lib dir in the source tree.
>
>I'd like to do a build and end up with includes in the /usr/include
>and libs in /usr/lib.
>
>Can anyone tell me if this is easily possible via runConfigure,
>or how else it can be done ?

Hi Stephen,
Xerces doesn't currently use "make install" to populate a target directory
with the output of the compilation. The closest script that does it is
scripts/packageBinaries.pl that is used to build, install and create the
distribution packages that are available on the web site.

Hope this helps,
Alberto