Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2014/08/02 01:35:57 UTC

Re: ZooKeeper 3.5.0-alpha planning

The 3.5.0-alpha release candidate has been posted to the dev list -
thanks everyone for the hard work!

Now the hard work starts. ;-) We need to test the RC and vote, please
do so and comment on the RC thread if you see any issues.

Note: I've also updated all the unresolved jiras, moving any
stragglers from 3.5.0 to 3.5.1. If we find something that should hold
up a 3.5.0 release please mark it as such in jira, otw mark it 3.5.1
(or otw as appropriate).

Regards,

Patrick

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at the log Patrick sent:
> https://builds.apache.org/job/ZooKeeper-trunk/2386/testReport/junit/org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum/ReconfigRecoveryTest/testCurrentObserverIsParticipantInNewConfig/
>
> This is really interesting. I see that server 2 boots and then the following
> happens:
>

> 2014-07-25 17:12:01,159 [myid:2] - INFO
> [WorkerReceiver[myid=2]:FastLeaderElection@682] - Notification: 2 (message
> format version), 2 (n.leader), 0x0 (n.zxid), 0x1 (n.round), LOOKING
> (n.state), 2 (n.sid), 0x0 (n.peerEPoch), LOOKING (my state)0 (n.config
> version)
> 2014-07-25 17:12:01,161 [myid:1] - INFO
> [WorkerReceiver[myid=1]:FastLeaderElection@682] - Notification: 2 (message
> format version), 2 (n.leader), 0x0 (n.zxid), 0x1 (n.round), LOOKING
> (n.state), 2 (n.sid), 0x0 (n.peerEPoch), LEADING (my state)0 (n.config
> version)
> 2014-07-25 17:12:01,163 [myid:2] - INFO
> [WorkerReceiver[myid=2]:FastLeaderElection$Messenger$WorkerReceiver@293] - 2
> Received version: 200000000 my version: 0
>

> This just doesn't make sense. First, I start it with config 100000000 so it
> can't have "0 (n.config version)", second no one even established the first
> config, so who's sending it version 200000000 ? This is the first time it
> appears in he log.
>

> Is it possible that multiple tests are running at the same time and
> interfere with each other ?
>

> I'm not sure how to debug this without access to the machine and adding more
> debug messages.
>

> Alex
>

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Hongchao, could you please clarify what you propose ?
>>
>> If I understand correctly we have two main options - ZK-1989 that disables
>> reconfig and keeps the old static config and a simpler fix which is to check
>> for client ports on boot and shut down the server with an error if no ports
>> were found.
>>
>> Patrick, I'll take a look on the log. Michi and I didn't succeed to get
>> access to the build machine, which makes it very difficult to debug...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Hongchao Deng <hd...@cloudera.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> ZK-1989 gets pretty complicated if it needs to support the full backward
>>> compatibility.
>>>
>>> My plan is divide a small task out: simply keep the old config and make
>>> it
>>> work. There could be unexpected cases when users of old config tried to
>>> use