Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Sriram Narayanan <sr...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/01 14:35:30 UTC

Multiple Jackrabbits using the same database for read operations

Hi all:

Assume a Content Repository store that we will only read from. In such
a case, would it be possible for multiple instances of JackRabbit to
hit the same database ?

Are there any lessons learned when trying such an action ?

If this is not available out of the box, would implementing a custom
PersistenceManager help ? I'm willing to put in this effort, if need
be.

Thanks in advance

-- Sriram

Re: Multiple Jackrabbits using the same database for read operations

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On 2/1/07, Sriram Narayanan <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Assume a Content Repository store that we will only read from. In such
> a case, would it be possible for multiple instances of JackRabbit to
> hit the same database ?

i've never tried it but i guess it should work as long as there are
strictly no write
operations on the repository.

> Are there any lessons learned when trying such an action ?

it won't be possible to share the repository home directory among
the jackrabbit instances since the repositry .lock file would prevent this.

you therefore have to make sure that every instance uses an identical copy
of the repository home directory. this might be inefficient because of
redundant lucene indexes etc.

cheers
stefan

Posted by Shaun Barriball <sb...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi Anton,
We did some initial tests using RMI and performance was much too slow
compared with a Model 1 or 2 deployment.
Regards,
Shaun.

Posted by anton_slutsky <as...@applevac.com>.
Hello everyone,