Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stéphane Laurencelle <st...@momentum-tech.ca> on 2017/02/13 16:13:41 UTC

Problem accessing manager on tomcat 8.5.11 on oracle linux 6.8

Hello,

have made a brand new Tomcat 8.5.11 install on oracle linux 6.8 and 7.3 ad i got the same problem on both i am not able to access the manager page from my pc browser.

I read that by default this function is disable by default but i would like what i need to do to be able form my pc to access it on my tomcat server on linux.

i can access the tomcat server page  but when i click to access the manager i got this error :

HTTP Status 404 - /manager/html

type Status report

message /manager/html

description The requested resource  is not available.

Hope you can help me

Best regards,

Stephane

Stéphane Laurencelle
Analyste Technologique

MOMENTUM TECHNOLOGIES INC.
Fière d’être parmi les 50 sociétés les mieux gérées du Canada<http://www.manitou-psa.com/index.php/qc/nous/nouvelles-2/86--momentum-technologies-parmi-les-50-societes-les-mieux-gerees-au-canada>!
825, boul. Lebourgneuf, bureau 412
Québec (Québec) G2J 0B9

Enterprise Téléphone :  418 681-6363
stephane.laurencelle@momentum-tech.ca<https://webmail.exchange.telus.com/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>
www.momentumtechnologies.ca<http://www.momentumtechnologies.ca/>

Vos experts en solutions Oracle et Java
Fiers d’être parmi les 50 sociétés les mieux gérées du Canada<http://www.momentumtechnologies.ca/fr/actualite_mieuxgerees.html>!

Re: RE : RE : Problem accessing manager on tomcat 8.5.11 on oracle linux 6.8

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: RE : RE : Problem accessing manager on tomcat 8.5.11 on oracle linux 6.8

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 13.02.2017 22:11, Stphane Laurencelle wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
>>
>>    See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>>
>>    limitations under the License.
>>
>> -->
>>
>> <!--
>>

>>>      Context configuration file for the Tomcat Manager Web App
>>

>>> -->
>>
>> <Context docBase="${catalina.home}/webapps/manager"
>>
>>           privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false" >
>>

>>> </Context>

>> Hi.
>>
>> Maybe first : on this list, it is recommended to NOT "top-post", but
>> respond below the previous intervention.
>> See : http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users   #6
>>
>> (It just makes it easier to follow the conversation, and to see previous
>> answers)
>> Scroll down..
>>
>> On 13.02.2017 17:57, Stphane Laurencelle wrote:

>>> De : Andr Warnier (tomcat) [aw@ice-sa.com]
>>> Envoy : 13 fvrier 2017 11:49
>>>  : users@tomcat.apache.org
>>> Objet : Re: Problem accessing manager on tomcat 8.5.11 on oracle linux 6.8

>>> Hope so too :-)
>>>
>>> First, since this is under Linux, and you may have installed tomcat via
>>> the standard Linux
>>> package manager (and not from the "official tomcat" installer found at
>>> tomcat.apache.org),
>>> verify if you have really installed *all* the tomcat packages.
>>> The tomcat Manager app may be located in another package than "tomcat",
>>> for example under
>>> Linux Debian it would probably be in the "tomcat8-admin" package.
>>> The fact that you are getting a 404 Not Found error would tend to
>>> indicate something like
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Hello Andr,
>>>
>>> i install from bin source package apache-tomcat-8.5.11.tar.gz
>>> and did a make to create the install so no i did not install it from rpm
>>> or yum on the linux platform so normally everything should have been in
>>> that install.
>>>
>>> stephane
>>>

>> Ok then, the next things to check :
>>
>> 1) under the "webapps" directory of tomcat, there should at least be a
>> "ROOT" sub-directory, and a "manager" sub-directory. Are they there ?
>>
>> 2) in the tomcat logs, after you start tomcat, there should be some clear
>> message about the deployment of the manager application.
>> Something like :
>> INFO: Deploying web application directory manager
>>
>> Do you see that ?
>> Does it mention any problem ?
>

> Hello Tiago and Andr,
>
> Tiago I already have a manager.xml file under this directory.
>
> and Andr, the directory are existing and in the tomcat logs i see that he is able to do the deployment of the manager and host-manager with no error.
>
> One things maybe you forgot is that my tomcat is using an apache 2.4 server to give access to those webpage with proxy module.

Did I forget that, or did you forget to mention that initially ? I don't see anything
above where that was ever mentioned before.

So anyway, then the next question is :
when you get this 404 error page, does it look like a tomcat error page, or like an Apache
httpd error page ? (The look is quite distinct, with the tomcat page having a definite
"java look" to it).

And some other questions :
- if you have an Apache httpd in front, with a proxy module forwarding some/all HTTP
requests to the back-end tomcat, what proxy module is being used ?
There are 3 possibilities :
- mod_proxy + mod_proxy_http
- mod_proxy + mod_proxy_ajp
- mod_jk
And in any case above, there must be, in the Apache httpd configuration, some directives
which indicate what kind of HTTP request should be forwarded to the back-end tomcat.
(They are somewhat different for each of the options above, which is why I am asking which
one you are using).
If you know what there are, copy and paste them here, it will save time.

And yet another question :
In your tomcat's configuration file "server.xml", there are items defined with the
<Connector> tag. Can you copy and paste here these Connector elements (the ones which are
not commented-out) ?

(Note : I do say above "copy and paste", because this list strips most attachments; so do
not just attach your server.xml or your Apache configuration files).

And, as ever : look in the logfiles. Both Apache httpd and tomcat produce detailed error
logfiles (thanks to the efforts of their clever developers). A 404 response is an error,
so it is mentioned in one of these logfiles.
If it is mentioned in the Apache httpd logfile, then it is at the Apache level that
something is wrong. If it is not mentioned in the Apache httpd logfile, then it will be
mentioned in the tomcat logfile.

RE : RE : Problem accessing manager on tomcat 8.5.11 on oracle linux 6.8

Posted by Stéphane Laurencelle <st...@momentum-tech.ca>.
I had a similar problem same problem, solved by adding creating a at inside
conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml

contents:

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <!--
>
>   Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
>
>   contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
>
>   this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
>
>   The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
>
>   (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
>
>   the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
>

>>       http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>

>>   Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
>
>   distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>
>   WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
>
>   See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>
>   limitations under the License.
>
> -->
>
> <!--
>

>>     Context configuration file for the Tomcat Manager Web App
>

>> -->
>
> <Context docBase="${catalina.home}/webapps/manager"
>
>          privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false" >
>

>> </Context>

> Hi.
>
> Maybe first : on this list, it is recommended to NOT "top-post", but
> respond below the previous intervention.
> See : http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users   #6
>
> (It just makes it easier to follow the conversation, and to see previous
> answers)
> Scroll down..
>
> On 13.02.2017 17:57, Stéphane Laurencelle wrote:

Hello Tiago and André,

Tiago I already have a manager.xml file under this directory.

and André, the directory are existing and in the tomcat logs i see that he is able to do the deployment of the manager and host-manager with no error.

One things maybe you forgot is that my tomcat is using an apache 2.4 server to give access to those webpage with proxy module.

Stephane

[image: Tiago Oliveira] Tiago OliveiraAnálise de sistemas[image: Contato]+55
83 99331.5541 <+5583993315541>/ 83 3506.8310 <+558335068310>[image: Email]
tiago.oliveira@behoh.com <ti...@behoh.com>
[image: BeHOH]
[image: Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/behoh.co>[image: Twitter]
<ht...@BeHOHmyfriend>[image: Instagram]
<https://www.instagram.com/behoh.co/>
  [image: Website]behoh.com <http://www.behoh.com/>[image: Localização]
goo.gl/FtUZdn <http://goo.gl/FtUZdn>

Re: RE : Problem accessing manager on tomcat 8.5.11 on oracle linux 6.8

Posted by Tiago Oliveira <ti...@behoh.com>.

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.