Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by bb00bbyy <th...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/02 15:35:15 UTC

Apache Derby source code compilation probleme

Hi Apache Derby Developers,

I'm currently working on a project ending my software engineering studies.
And I'm french so my english might not be perfect.

So this is the probleme I've encountered during project building :
I got the Apache Derby source code from SVN, latest release 10.5.3.
And I follows every steps to build Derby (and configure Eclipse Ganymede
version).
When I run the build.xml in the root of the Apache Derby project, it writes
me that BUILD is SUCCESSFULL but eventually, I do not have in my folder any
JAR. And that's the matter 'cause I need to be able to modify the engine of
Apache Derby and to use the resulting "derby.jar".

Actually, I need to improve the Apache Derby project to make it use some
kind of fuzzy queries.
And I must directly modify the engine to do this. But I can't compile and
get derby.jar.

So I quickly  read the build.xml file (14000 lines, I can't read all of it),
and I decide to run directly the target named "buildjars". It results in
creating a folder named "jars" containing all the JAR available in the
Apache_derby_bin.zip downloadable on the official web site. But when I make
some changes in the code and I rebuild (always using "buildjars" target
directly), it doesn't seem the derby.jar is different.

So please can you help me with this ?

Thank you

Re: Apache Derby source code compilation probleme

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Thibault,

On top of what Kristian suggested, I would also recommend having a look at
the following WIKI pages for new developers:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForNewDevelopers

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev

Cheers,

--francois

Posted by bb00bbyy <th...@gmail.com>.
Well, thanks francois and Kristian,

I've tried what you adviced me to do.
So I've encountered some problems with my project.
For a week, I did not retouch it, and right now I've tried to build but it
seems new errors happen.
It said that java.lang can not be found in the classpath or in the
bootclasspath.
Something I didn't have the last time. Weird.

So I did redo every steps from http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/BuildingDerby
And well, it seems everything is working fine. Indeed, I've added just one
system.out.println in one class.
And great, the line is printed on the console while using the JAR built with
the apache derby source code that has been modified.

So thanks you two.

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.