Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Chisholm, Paul" <Pa...@AirservicesAustralia.com> on 2003/06/16 13:46:09 UTC

Filters and Forwarding

Hi,

I have a servlet X that forwards to a servlet Y. When Y is requested
directly there is a filter specified in web.xml that does some
preprocessing of the request. When X forwards to Y I want the request to
pass through the filter, but it seems to go straight to Y. Associating
the filter with X wont work because the filter would then process the
request before X, instead of between X and Y. I can incorporate the
functionality of the filter in Y but that defeats the whole purpose of
using filters (there are situations where I want to use Y without the
filter). Is there is way to do what I want?

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Filters and Forwarding

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Filters apply only to the incoming request. Filters are not invoked on
subsequent forward() or include().

But the 2.4 spec will allow filters to be run on forward() (and I think
include, read the spec to verify)

-Tim

Re: Filters and Forwarding

Posted by Antonio Fiol BonnĂ­n <fi...@terra.es>.
If you are allowing incoming requests to Y, you can make X to
sendRedirect() to Y.

A bit slower, as it needs the client to access Y himself, but depending
on your needs, it may work.

Antonio Fiol