Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/16 13:35:34 UTC

[RELEASE]: release preparation

Hi,

as you have probably noticed I have started a VOTE for our AOO 3.4.1
release. We should prepare everything for next week to have it in place
if the 2 VOTEs (PPMC + IPMC) will pass successful.

ToDo's
1. Release Notes, already available. Potentially some updates or
improvements have to be integrated
2. upload of the binaries on dist -> prepared and ready to start
3. changing the download page, adapt download logic -> ???
3.1 changed logic for the former 3.4 download -> they move to
archive.apache.org -> do we need to change something, we download via
Sourceforge?
4. prepare announcement for the announcement list and the various social
medias
5. ... what else?
6. be happy

Juergen

Re: [RELEASE]: release preparation

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as you have probably noticed I have started a VOTE for our AOO 3.4.1
> release. We should prepare everything for next week to have it in place
> if the 2 VOTEs (PPMC + IPMC) will pass successful.
>
> ToDo's
> 1. Release Notes, already available. Potentially some updates or
> improvements have to be integrated
> 2. upload of the binaries on dist -> prepared and ready to start
> 3. changing the download page, adapt download logic -> ???
> 3.1 changed logic for the former 3.4 download -> they move to
> archive.apache.org -> do we need to change something, we download via
> Sourceforge?
> 4. prepare announcement for the announcement list and the various social
> medias

I have a draft sitting in Roller right now.  I'll send out a link to
it in a separate thread.

> 5. ... what else?

I started this list on the wiki, based on what things we did for AOO 3.4.0:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Distribution+Tasks

> 6. be happy

+1.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 17, 2012, at 12:09 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Some extensions were included in the binaries, installed automatically
>>> as part of the main product install.  They look like integrated parts
>>> of the UI.  You can see Presentation Manager in Impress, under
>>> Tools/Minimize Presentation.  I'm pretty sure the Presenter Console
>>> requires two displays, so I can't see it.
>>>
>>> The question is how we take the extensions in standalone form and put
>>> them in other common repositories?
>>>
>>> Would this be analogous to what Java-based projects do with Maven?
>>> They build and release a larger source and binary distribution for
>>> their release, and that release distribution might contain several
>>> related libraries.  And after the release is made a volunteer uploads
>>> the individual libraries to the central maven repository,
>>>
>>> How is that done with Maven central repository?  Does the project do
>>> that officially?  Or someone just does that individually?
>>
>> We do it officially in Apache POI. See https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/maven/.
>>
>> We've voted on these artifacts as well.
>>
>> I think that if we have Extensions that are packaged separately they can be distributed in similar manner to the source, sdk, and binary distros. They do need a VOTE thread and then verifiable.
>>

> I don't think they are packaged separately, at least not at the source
> level.  In other words, we don't have a source package for them that
> is separate from the full AOO 3.4.1. source packages.   And I doubt
> that in binary form they are self-contained release artifacts, each
> with their own LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>
> Although this could technically be done, to turn these into real
> release artifacts, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort of doing
> this, especially if anyone one of us can just upload the extensions to
> the repository without further effort.   In any case, for these
> extensions I think the plan is to more fully integrate them into the
> product in the future.

Since the extensions can get separated out of the build then those artifacts should be exposed as three more binary artifacts with hashes for verification and VOTE.

>> We can follow the AOO341 release with an Extensions Release.
>>

> Certainly not objections if someone wants to do that.

None here - just that we'll need to agree to release.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 17, 2012, at 11:16 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> place

> via
> social

> VOTE on and inspect these binaries did we?
> >>>

> >> Some extensions were included in the binaries, installed automatically
> >> as part of the main product install.  They look like integrated parts
> >> of the UI.  You can see Presentation Manager in Impress, under
> >> Tools/Minimize Presentation.  I'm pretty sure the Presenter Console
> >> requires two displays, so I can't see it.
> >>
> >> The question is how we take the extensions in standalone form and put
> >> them in other common repositories?
> >>
> >> Would this be analogous to what Java-based projects do with Maven?
> >> They build and release a larger source and binary distribution for
> >> their release, and that release distribution might contain several
> >> related libraries.  And after the release is made a volunteer uploads
> >> the individual libraries to the central maven repository,
> >>
> >> How is that done with Maven central repository?  Does the project do
> >> that officially?  Or someone just does that individually?
> >
> > We do it officially in Apache POI. See
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/maven/.
> >
> > We've voted on these artifacts as well.
> >
> > I think that if we have Extensions that are packaged separately they can
> be distributed in similar manner to the source, sdk, and binary distros.
> They do need a VOTE thread and then verifiable.
> >

> I don't think they are packaged separately, at least not at the source
> level.  In other words, we don't have a source package for them that
> is separate from the full AOO 3.4.1. source packages.   And I doubt
> that in binary form they are self-contained release artifacts, each
> with their own LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>
> Although this could technically be done, to turn these into real
> release artifacts, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort of doing
> this, especially if anyone one of us can just upload the extensions to
> the repository without further effort.

Just in case, that's what is needed to be done.

Chose an account name, to be associated to an email address (not shown)
here:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/user/register

Let us know on ooo-dev the account name, we'll associate the following
extensions to that account.

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/PresentationMinimizer
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/presenter-screen
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/wikipublisher

Doing so those extensions won't be associated to Oracle nor Sun, as of
today.

Roberto

--
====

Re: [RELEASE]: release preparation

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 17, 2012, at 11:16 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 17, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jürgen,

>>> We should upload the three official extensions to the extensions
>>> repository:
>>>
>>> 1) Presentation Minimizer
>>> 2) Presenter Console

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Jürgen,

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 08/16/2012 06:28 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Jürgen Schmidt<jo...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> as you have probably noticed I have started a VOTE for our AOO 3.4.1
>> release. We should prepare everything for next week to have it in place
>> if the 2 VOTEs (PPMC + IPMC) will pass successful.
>>
>> ToDo's
>> 1. Release Notes, already available. Potentially some updates or
>> improvements have to be integrated
>> 2. upload of the binaries on dist ->  prepared and ready to start
>> 3. changing the download page, adapt download logic ->  ???
>> 3.1 changed logic for the former 3.4 download ->  they move to
>> archive.apache.org ->  do we need to change something, we download via
>> Sourceforge?
>> 4. prepare announcement for the announcement list and the various social
>> medias
>> 5. ... what else?
>> 6. be happy
>>
>> Juergen
>>

> I think we're good with all this. I can take care of additional mods to the
> release notes, and I'm pretty sure Marcus was already dealing with 3. and
> 3.1 items here.

Right, as it's documented here ...

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS
/AOO+3.4.1+Distribution+Tasks

... the very most parts affecting the download section are ready locally
on my PC. Now waiting for the binaries for some final tests.

Marcus

Re: [RELEASE]: release preparation

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as you have probably noticed I have started a VOTE for our AOO 3.4.1
> release. We should prepare everything for next week to have it in place
> if the 2 VOTEs (PPMC + IPMC) will pass successful.
>
> ToDo's
> 1. Release Notes, already available. Potentially some updates or
> improvements have to be integrated
> 2. upload of the binaries on dist -> prepared and ready to start
> 3. changing the download page, adapt download logic -> ???
> 3.1 changed logic for the former 3.4 download -> they move to
> archive.apache.org -> do we need to change something, we download via
> Sourceforge?
> 4. prepare announcement for the announcement list and the various social
> medias
> 5. ... what else?
> 6. be happy
>
> Juergen

I think we're good with all this. I can take care of additional mods to the
release notes, and I'm pretty sure Marcus was already dealing with 3. and
3.1 items here.

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                                                        --
Niels Bohr