Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2003/08/14 01:23:39 UTC

Re: [lang] StringUtils misspelled method names?

Although I am English and use the correct English spelling, I would probably
prefer these to be spelt as US english.

Why? Well practically all computer driven spelling is US, eg.
capitalize (US English) not capitalise (correct English)
color (US English) not colour (correct English)

If we are to change them, then this is the time. The [lang] 2.0 release is
the tidy up release involving deprecations. I don't expect or want further
deprecations in 3.0.

Having said that, I can't work up the will to actually make the change. So
+1 if someone wants to make the effort and supply a patch.

Stephen

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
As a user of, rather than contributor to, lang, I agree with Stephen.

While also a "Queen's English" user, the convention for programming
libraries is clearly established as US English. All the java standard
libraries use this convention, so it seems inconsistent to use other
spelling elsewhere. I bet C++ libraries, Gnome libraries, etc. also use
US English spellings for public methods.

Regards,

Simon

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.