Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by j....@mgn.co.uk on 2002/11/11 15:22:13 UTC

[users@httpd] POST problems with apache 1.3.x

I have been experiencing an irritating problem with large POST s to apache.

All the data sent in the POST is received by the httpd server (the bytes
are the same, but headers slightly differ) but depending on the browser  a
different response is made. The errors always occur in the same place and
if a space is added to the content the error moves on a character. This is
causing pages to display incorrectly and basically makes the server too
flaky to use(well impossible).

If anyone can make any suggestions on how to resolve this please do !

Toodlepip,
Jane.

Here are some details of the differences in the data sent

File compare: 11/11/2002 12:45:26
File 1: C:\captures\explorer
File 2: C:\captures\netscape

DATA SENT TO APACHE

Difference: File 1, lines 2 to 7
            File 2, lines 2 to 1

  File 1 detail:
   2: Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel,
application/msword, */*

   3: Referer: http://yankee-internal/Sbet_internal/br_editor
   4: Accept-Language: en-gb
   5: Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
   6: Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
   7: User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)

  File 2 detail:

Difference: File 1, lines 9 to 8
            File 2, lines 3 to 11

  File 1 detail:

  File 2 detail:
   3: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0.1)
Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0
   4: Accept:
text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,video/x-mng,image/png,image/jpeg,image/gif;q=0.2,text/css,

/*;q=0.1
   5: Accept-Language: en-us, en;q=0.50
   6: Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, compress;q=0.9
   7: Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1, utf-8;q=0.66, *;q=0.66
   8: Keep-Alive: 300
   9: Connection: keep-alive
   10: Referer: http://yankee-internal/Sbet_internal/br_editor
   11: Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Difference: File 1, lines 10 to 11
            File 2, lines 13 to 12

  File 1 detail:
   10: Connection: Keep-Alive
   11: Cache-Control: no-cache

  File 2 detail:

DATA SENT TO BROWSER

Difference: File 1, lines 16 to 16
            File 2, lines 17 to 17

  File 1 detail:
   16: Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:36:04 GMT

  File 2 detail:
   17: Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:32:31 GMT

Difference: File 1, lines 18 to 19
            File 2, lines 19 to 20

  File 1 detail:
   18: Content-Length: 29306
   19: Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=99

  File 2 detail:
   19: Content-Length: 29304
   20: Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100

Difference: File 1, lines 37 to 39
            File 2, lines 38 to 40

  File 1 detail:
   37: <!--
   38:
   39: A:link {color:#CC0000; text-decoration: none;}

  File 2 detail:
   38: <!--
   39:
   40: A:link {color:#CC0000; text-decoration: none;}

Difference: File 1, lines 87 to 86
            File 2, lines 88 to 87

  File 1 detail:

  File 2 detail:

Difference: File 1, lines 307 to 307
            File 2, lines 308 to 308

  File 1 detail:
   307:       <HR SIZE=1></TD></TR>%" onMouseOver="window.status='Bookmaker
Market Lookup';return true0D

  File 2 detail:
   308:       <HR SIZE=1></TD></TR>

Difference: File 1, lines 370 to 370
            File 2, lines 371 to 382

  File 1 detail:
   370: </

  File 2 detail:
   371: </TABLE>
   372:    </TD>
   373:    </TR>
   374:
   375: </TABLE>
   376:
   377: <?br_footer>
   378:
   379:
   380: </BODY>
   381: </HTML>
   382:

Difference: File 1, lines 420 to 419
            File 2, lines 432 to 431

  File 1 detail:

  File 2 detail:

Difference: File 1, lines 451 to 453
            File 2, lines 463 to 465

  File 1 detail:
   451: &lt;!--
   452:
   453: A:link {color:#CC0000; text-decoration: none;}

  File 2 detail:
   463: &lt;!--
   464:
   465: A:link {color:#CC0000; text-decoration: none;}

Difference: File 1, lines 501 to 500
            File 2, lines 513 to 512

  File 1 detail:

  File 2 detail:

IMPORTANT NOTICE  This email (including any attachments) is meant only for the intended recipient. It may also contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any reliance on, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this email or attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this message by mistake and delete the email and all attachments immediately.

Any views or opinions in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Trinity Mirror plc or its associated group companies (TM Group). The TM Group accept no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.

Although every reasonable effort is made to keep its network free from viruses, TM Group accept no liability for any virus transmitted by this email or any attachments and the recipient should use up-to-date virus checking software. Email to or from this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.

Trinity Mirror PLC is the parent  company of the Trinity Mirror group of companies and is registered in England No 82548, with its address at One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5AP.

Re: [users@httpd] POST problems with apache 1.3.x

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
Hi Jane,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 02:22:13PM +0000, j.howitt@mgn.co.uk wrote:
> All the data sent in the POST is received by the httpd server (the bytes
> are the same, but headers slightly differ) but depending on the browser  a
> different response is made. The errors always occur in the same place and
> if a space is added to the content the error moves on a character. This is
> causing pages to display incorrectly and basically makes the server too
> flaky to use(well impossible).
>
> If anyone can make any suggestions on how to resolve this please do !

I think it would be helpful to get a little more information about
precisely what you're working with here...

Which version of Apache are you running, and on which platform?
What is accepting the POST'ed data - a CGI, PHP, Tomcat, etc?
What is being done with the POST'ed data, and what specifically are the
errors you are seeing?

I'm having a bit of trouble identifying specific problem areas in the
comparison you included in your original e-mail.  If the session captures
aren't too large, consider mailing those raw files (to me directly if you'd
like) as context can be important.  Differences in headers are entirely
normal and probably not anything to be concerned about - unless this is in
fact a client bug we're dealing with.

Cheers,

Zac