Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Zack Payton <zp...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/02 09:48:58 UTC

Server address passed to cloudstack agent

Hi there,

I have multiple IP addresses assigned to the CS Management server on
different VLANs.  When I go add the host to the Infrastructure it tries to
connect back the wrong IP address and is thusly blocked by our inter-vlan
access policy.  What's recommended mechanism for specifying the server IP
address?

cloudstack-setup-agent  -m *10.1.1.2* -z 1 -p 1 -c 1 -g
03408e21-366b-3d94-8fe0-23aa00416bfd -a --pubNic=cloudbr1 --prvNic=cloudbr1
--guestNic=cloudbr1

Here, the setup-agent script is passed 10.1.1.2 when it really should be
passed 10.1.2.2.

Any assistance on this matter would be appreciated.

Re: Server address passed to cloudstack agent

Posted by Zack Payton <zp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys.  In the end I just set the Global Settings host variable and
that worked great rather than messing around with the host files as there
are other services currently running on the box that depend on hostname
--fqdn coming back with the hostname that resolves to 10.1.1.2.

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zack,

Thanks for using Cloudstack! I assume you are adding the host on the
management webUI when you are encountering this error?
The most probable cause is your DNS records are pointing the name of the
management server, say "man1" -> 10.1.1.2.

I manually override this in my setups to use a dedicated backend network
(much like your VLANS), simply by defining the hosts manually in the
/etc/hosts file on all the nodes part of the cluster.
The format should be "IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]", so for
example:

10.1.2.2 man1.cluster.local man1
10.1.2.3 agent1.cluster.local agent1

Other devices then use the enterprise DNS to access the hosts using an
different IP. Alternatively, you could setup a dedicated DNS server for
your cluster, I have done this in the past with no real advantage
(especially if you are using configuration management (like Puppet) for
/etc/hosts and other configuration files to keep them in sync).

Hope this helps,
Marty