Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2011/05/02 19:48:33 UTC

Re: putting a border around 0.92 release

Whats our thinking on 0.92.0 now May 1st has passed?  Interestingly,
the numbers of blockers and criticals are the same as Andrew reports
below in the threads' first message (we won some since his email was
written but then some new ones showed up since).  Online merge and
schema edits have not made it in nor has a secondary index
implementation (distributed log splitting has though).

There seemed to be a strong sense in the below thread that we should
go for mostly time-based releases anyways so we should try stabilizing
TRUNK so we can cut a 0.92.0 soon?  When?  This week?  Looks like
it'll be two weeks at least before we nail the blockers and criticals
as is.  Branch May 14th or so?

St.Ack

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I'm in favor of releasing major versions more often so that the
changes be less disruptive, the sooner the better.

We'll never know for sure, but I wonder if releasing more often
compared to waiting for those features would put those same features
in the hands of the users sooner or later. Like would releasing 0.92
without online schema edits and others and then releasing 0.94 not too
far enough would coincide with a 0.92 with all those features in
another timeline.

J-D

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I agree.

We did get code back from an internal dev group for the secondary indexing implementation but I don't think we are satisfied with its current state.

Also I have been swamped, therefore remiss, in online schema edit.

Shouldn't hold up a release on our account. Next one.

   - Andy

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I agree.