Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul Cormier <p_...@rogers.com> on 2003/11/11 18:30:11 UTC

[users@httpd] WinXP multiple process problem

Hi.
I'm running the latest (2.0.48) version of Apache webserver, and I get two processes running in Task Manager.  One of them is consuming as much of my CPU time as it can.  I'm not sure why.
It hasn't been doing this all along, but I don't know what I changed.  I've seen a few other people who have this problem, but I have yet to see a solution.  Hopefully one of you can help me.
Also, I have two network cards, both get their IP using DHCP.

Thanks,
Paul

Re: [users@httpd] WinXP multiple process problem

Posted by Paul Cormier <p_...@rogers.com>.
Yup, replying to my own post.
I think I may have stumbled across it.  Someone else seems to have had the same problem as me.  They attributed it to McAfee; which I had just recently installed.  They also suggest using Apache 1.3.
I'm going to give it a try.
Here's where I read this:
http://www.phpbuilder.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=10246619

Paul

Posted by Paul Cormier <p_...@rogers.com>.
No, no requests.  It's a very low traffic server in the first place.
And I don't experience much of a slowdown in Windows otherwise.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Paul
  On windows I have always seen two "Apache" processes running in the task manager.
  I do not consider it a problem.
  See the attached, my XP machine has two too, both both are using nearly no memory (but have no clients though).
  As for hogging CPU, I don't know.  Are you getting a lot of clients or a lot of dynamic content being requested? Have you got apache set up to do lots of work (reverse DNS look ups / rules / rewriting etc) for each request?
  Daniel

    I'm running the latest (2.0.48) version of Apache webserver, and I get two processes running in Task Manager.  One of them is consuming as much of my CPU time as it can.  I'm not sure why.
    It hasn't been doing this all along, but I don't know what I changed.  I've seen a few other people who have this problem, but I have yet to see a solution.  Hopefully one of you can help me.
    Also, I have two network cards, both get their IP using DHCP.

    Thanks,
    Paul

  This email has been scanned for all viruses by MDaemon PRO v6.8.4 R
  on Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:36:33 -0000 and found to contain no infected
  attachments. The virus list was updated on Tue 2003-11-11 17:30:54

Re: [users@httpd] WinXP multiple process problem