Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org> on 2003/10/24 16:32:40 UTC

[DRAFT] ANNOUNCE: Mod_python 3.1.2 beta

OK, I think we have enough +1's. The files are on www.apache.org, and will
get synced to mirrors by tomorrow.

In the meantime, please read this draft announcement, and let me know if
I'm missing something. It will go out some time over the weekend to be
ready for Monday morning coffee.

The Apache Software Foundation and The Apache HTTP Server Project are
pleased to announce the 3.1.2 BETA release mod_python.

Some feature highlights:

* Server-side sessions with memory or dbm-based storage and session
locking support.

* PSP - a fast flex-based scanner which allows embedding Python code
within HTML.

* Native cookie support, including support for automatic cryptographic
cookie signing and marshalling.

* Compatibility with Python 2.3, as well as many other enhancements.

Beta releases are NOT considered stable and may contain bugs.

This release is intended to solicit widespread testing of the code. We
strongly recommend that you try out your existing applications and
experiment with new features in a non-production environment using this
version and report any problems you may encounter so that they can be
addressed before the final release.

Preferred method of reporting problems is the mod_python user list
mod_python@modpython.org.

Mod_python 3.1.2b is available for download from:

http://httpd.apache.org/modules/python-download.cgi

For more information about mod_python visit
http://www.modpython.org/

Regards,

Grisha Trubetskoy

Re: [DRAFT] ANNOUNCE: Mod_python 3.1.2 beta

Posted by James Pye <fl...@rhid.com>.
Greets,

> > but one problem and some notes about playing with sessions..
> >
> > 	Changing the COOKIE_NAME to anything with capital letters will
> > break session handling, all lowers appears to work..(It doesn't see the
> > old session cookie and generates a new one, cookie bug?)
>
> I'll take a look at this, but it doesn't seem like a show-stopper for this
> beta.

	Yeah, it's not too significant. But I would like to customize my session cookie name.

	The previous notice is flawed, it seems I was *somehow* able to cajole the Session module into accepting 'session' as the cookie name, but nothing else except "pysid". I had also tried 'Session' and then 'sessIon', both broke session, which is why I thought capitals broke it, but it is isn't related to capital letters...

	The following doesn't perform as expected on my machine:

	from mod_python import Session
	Session.COOKIE_NAME = "MyOwnSessionName"

	Then go onto use the Session module as normal, it will appear to not see a placed session named COOKIE_NAME and generate a new sid as COOKIE_NAME..

Regards,

	James Pye

Re: [DRAFT] ANNOUNCE: Mod_python 3.1.2 beta

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, James William Pye wrote:

> Greets,
>
> 	+1 on FreeBSD 4.9RC,

cool :-)

> but one problem and some notes about playing with sessions..
>
> 	Changing the COOKIE_NAME to anything with capital letters will
> break session handling, all lowers appears to work..(It doesn't see the
> old session cookie and generates a new one, cookie bug?)

I'll take a look at this, but it doesn't seem like a show-stopper for this
beta.

> 	And one note: I global my session, which appears to cause it not
> to be properly del'd(or unlocked) when the handler returns, which of
> course inhibits it to acquire a lock the next time around.(This is
> handler implementation issue, but I figured I'd say something.. Might
> save others a couple scratches on the head)(Just needs an explicit
> del())

The session will remain locked for as long as you hang on to it, and if
you global it, it will remail locked indefinitely, unless you explicitely
unlock it (or del it). Perhaps this isn't documented well enough, but it
is as intended.

Grisha

Re: [DRAFT] ANNOUNCE: Mod_python 3.1.2 beta

Posted by James William Pye <fl...@rhid.com>.
Greets,

	+1 on FreeBSD 4.9RC, but one problem and some notes about playing with sessions..